Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team,

Ongoing recovery and fixes from a bad mechanic who installed new shorty-headers recently.

1) They had crossed the 3rd and 4th cylinder plug wires.
2) They had left the plug wire boots for the 7 & 8 cylinders resting against the new manifold which melted. (admittedly they were 8mm Accel longer elbow-shaped boots, and the new headers were going to be in contact with them no matter what, but they should have alerted me).

So, got new 8mm plug wires and did new spark plugs at the same time, and I put 1300 degree-rated insulators on the boots for extra heat protection.

However, in doing that work I discovered (3) that the mechanic had ALSO failed to remount a hose that seems to come off the Air Pump, has a little condensor or muffler on it, and then the hose goes back into a cluster behind the engine (near the PCV valve).

There are two brackets along that hose, with bolt holes so it's supposed to be mounted somewhere, but I can't figure out where to mount it. Right now one of the brackets is literally just resting on the manifold (and scraping it). I am guessing the mechanic couldn't figure out where it mounted either and so just left it hanging there.

Did some searching but can't find where that is supposed to be mounted, don't see any obvious bolts or holes for the brackets to mount to. Can't be too far away from where it is, there isn't that much play / room to move the hose.

So, anybody know where that is supposed to be bolted to? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,367 Posts
I believe it bolts to the intake plenum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it bolts to the intake plenum.
BigBlue, thanks for the thought but I don't think so. It would need to move about 18-20 inches for the brackets to even touch the Plenum, and there isn't that much play before it would break off the Air Pump. So unless the PO or mechanic completely rerouted it (or my hose is just way shorter than it should be), don't think it goes up there. Also I don't see any bolt holes or mounting bolts that would be a fit for the two brackets on the hose.

Can't seem to find a photo or diagram either except those completely deleting the air pump/hose from their system, but I need to pass smog and prefer stock set ups when I can.

Can anybody confirm BigBlue's recommendation here?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,367 Posts
I meant onto that bolt with a ground strap on it, where there should be a brace from plenum to a header bolt.

But looking at it closer, maybe it just bolts on with a couple header bolts. I tried looking at pics of my 94 351 and 96 351 but no good shots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant onto that bolt with a ground strap on it, where there should be a brace from plenum to a header bolt.

But looking at it closer, maybe it just bolts on with a couple header bolts. I tried looking at pics of my 94 351 and 96 351 but no good shots.
Ah, thanks. UGH, was worried it might be a couple of the header bolts that it's supposed to be tied to...those seem to be the nearest to where the brackets are attached to the hose and they sit at that angle.

I'll keep digging. And if it makes a difference I'm in a 1995 5.0.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That plumbing/bracket should mount to one of the header bolts, either fore or aft of the manifold support bracket iirc. What motor is that on?

Sent from my Hush-98 comlink

·
Addicted to Junk
16,367 Posts
Ah, thanks. UGH, was worried it might be a couple of the header bolts that it's supposed to be tied to...those seem to be the nearest to where the brackets are attached to the hose and they sit at that angle.

I'll keep digging. And if it makes a difference I'm in a 1995 5.0.

Thanks again.
One thing that wont help decipher is emissions equipment seemed to change slightly every couple years. My 94 and 96 (not maf) 351s both had different stuff attached to the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That plumbing/bracket should mount to one of the header bolts, either fore or aft of the manifold support bracket iirc. What motor is that on?

it's a 1995 5.0L EB. The (new) Headers are Basani (at least that is what they told me...taking them at their word) don't have a part number.

I think I figured out why the muffler shop didn't put the plumbing back on...the space (distance) between the header bolt and the header pipe is not sufficient to allow the bracket to be mounted. The edge of the bracket butts up against the header pipe too much for the bolt hole to be centered...So, I would presume they tried and then just left it dangling.

Sigh. I guess I'll just have to leave it OR do the Smog Delete job.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Any time... The problem with most aftermarket headers is that the ignition coil, oil dipstick, intake manifold support and emissions plumbing brackets do not have anywhere to mount because of the difference in header flange dimensions vs. exhaust manifold dimensions. In the later case, accessory brackets are often mounted to the studs that run through the thick (about an 1.25") parts of the flange. I had to modify both my ignition coil bracket and my intake manifold support bracket to accommodate for the dimensional differences on my headers. My headers came with a relocation bracket for the emissions plumbing, but I have yet to remedy the issue with my oil dipstick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any time... The problem with most aftermarket headers is that the ignition coil, oil dipstick, intake manifold support and emissions plumbing brackets do not have anywhere to mount because of the difference in header flange dimensions vs. exhaust manifold dimensions. In the later case, accessory brackets are often mounted to the studs that run through the thick (about an 1.25") parts of the flange. I had to modify both my ignition coil bracket and my intake manifold support bracket to accommodate for the dimensional differences on my headers. My headers came with a relocation bracket for the emissions plumbing, but I have yet to remedy the issue with my oil dipstick.

YES! Great pic....that exact bracket seems to be missing from my rig, too!

So, quick follow up. I decided to go back to the mechanic to have a Consumer/Business Owner conversation about the job and the issues [instead of just posting a negative review on Yelp...].

Actually spoke directly to the Tech who did the job. Happily, he fully admitted that 1) the new headers didn't allow for the Smog plumbing to be remounted to spec and he gave up on it 2) he'd broken two vacuum lines during the job and 'thought' he'd repaired them but saw I'd replaced those lines with new silicone vacuum tubing and 3) he was aware the spark plug boots were in contact with the new headers but he had just hoped they wouldn't melt...at least he was honest.

Overall it was a productive conversation, although it did end with my smog hose still just dangling there. I am now debating doing the Smog Delete as a compromise solution.

More and More realizing that I should just be doing more of the Bronco's mechanic work myself. Can't seem to find a mechanic (here in Southern Utah or in Los Angeles) who knows Broncos PLUS is Good and Honest.

Thanks, FSB Forum for the ongoing help!

·
Addicted to Junk
16,367 Posts
YES! Great pic....that exact bracket seems to be missing from my rig, too!

So, quick follow up. I decided to go back to the mechanic to have a Consumer/Business Owner conversation about the job and the issues [instead of just posting a negative review on Yelp...].

Actually spoke directly to the Tech who did the job. Happily, he fully admitted that 1) the new headers didn't allow for the Smog plumbing to be remounted to spec and he gave up on it 2) he'd broken two vacuum lines during the job and 'thought' he'd repaired them but saw I'd replaced those lines with new silicone vacuum tubing and 3) he was aware the spark plug boots were in contact with the new headers but he had just hoped they wouldn't melt...at least he was honest.

Overall it was a productive conversation, although it did end with my smog hose still just dangling there. I am now debating doing the Smog Delete as a compromise solution.

More and More realizing that I should just be doing more of the Bronco's mechanic work myself. Can't seem to find a mechanic (here in Southern Utah or in Los Angeles) who knows Broncos PLUS is Good and Honest.

Thanks, FSB Forum for the ongoing help!
Honesty doesnt excuse "giving up or hoping they wont melt".

Dont smog delete it just because of this. My advice is to make a small bracket to mount the smog tubes to that boss on the intake plenum.

Position the tube where you think it looks best. Then bend some sheet metal and drill in both ends and bolt it up.

Reactions: Warriors_Breakfast

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honesty doesnt excuse "giving up or hoping they wont melt".

Dont smog delete it just because of this. My advice is to make a small bracket to mount the smog tubes to that boss on the intake plenum.

Position the tube where you think it looks best. Then bend some sheet metal and drill in both ends and bolt it up.
On it. Again, thanks for the advice and guidance.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,767 Posts
it's a 1995 5.0L EB. The (new) Headers are Basani (at least that is what they told me...taking them at their word) don't have a part number.

I think I figured out why the muffler shop didn't put the plumbing back on...the space (distance) between the header bolt and the header pipe is not sufficient to allow the bracket to be mounted. The edge of the bracket butts up against the header pipe too much for the bolt hole to be centered...So, I would presume they tried and then just left it dangling.

Sigh. I guess I'll just have to leave it OR do the Smog Delete job.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but those don't look like Bassani headers. Easy to check though. Look at cylinder #7 (drivers side, next to last near the firewall). Bassani welds a name plate with their logo, part number, etc on top of the tube exiting the cylinder that is clear to see.

Did you replace the full exhaust? Modern hi-flow cats (like Bassani's) are way more efficient. They not only do a better job of cleaning, they are not nearly as restrictive and more importantly for you, they don't require a smog pump to operate at peak efficiency.

A win, win, win: less parasitic drag, freer flowing engine and better for the environment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts