Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 XLT 5.8L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Gas Automotive fuel system

I should plug this back in right? No idea how long it’s been disconnected like that, also no idea what it’s connected to on either side, so whatever tf that black bulbous thing is if somebody could enlighten me I’d appreciate it

·
Registered
95 XLT 5.8L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s part of the smog system - that part is a small muffler on top of the small air filter, I believe.
And it didn’t throw any check engine lights? So it’s not gonna hurt anything that it was unplugged for lord knows how long?

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,925 Posts
And it didn’t throw any check engine lights? So it’s not gonna hurt anything that it was unplugged for lord knows how long?
What, with the hose not attached? No that wouldn’t throw a code. I’d just put that hose back on the muffler with a clamp if it needs it.

·
Registered
95 XLT 5.8L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What, with the hose not attached? No that wouldn’t throw a code. I’d just put that hose back on the muffler with a clamp if it needs it.
I guess sometimes I forget how old the truck is lol I think if something like that happened in any modern car i would imagine it would probably throw a code

·
Super Moderator
28,815 Posts
Yo
Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Pic by former member Steve83 (BANNED)

Gas Machine Auto part Wood Metal

"Thermactor (Smog air pump) This pumps fresh air into the exhaust system, to burn left over hydrocarbons, lowering emissions. The computer uses 2 air valves (TAB & TAD) to control where the air flows depending on engine operation.

Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) shunts air to the atmosphere, when no air is needed. When air is needed it sends air to the second valve TAD. Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) diverts air either to the exhaust manifold, or directly to the catalytic converter. "
"Test; "... 1.Check and, if necessary, adjust the belt tension. Press at the mid-point of the belt's longest straight run. You should be able to depress the belt about 1/2 in. (13mm) at most. 2.Run the engine to normal operating temperature and let it idle. 3.Disconnect the air supply hose from the bypass control valve. If the pump is operating properly, airflow should be felt at the pump outlet. The flow should increase as you increase the engine speed. The pump is not serviceable and should be replaced if it is not functioning properly..."
by absent member Fireguy50 (Ryan M)

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,999 Posts
No, doesn't really matter. If the smog pump isn't pushing air into the cat, it is switched to pushing air up and out that hose with a farting noise. That can quiets it down.

Adrianspeeder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts