1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holding in passenger door regulator

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,594 Posts
Factory rivet , if your pulling the reg, you’ll need to drill it or grind it.

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,594 Posts
If you check around you can find a loaner rivet tool ( regular one is too small) or find a shop that will rerivet It in for a small fee once you got it all prepped.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you check around you can find a loaner rivet tool ( regular one is too small) or find a shop that will rerivet It in for a small fee once you got it all prepped.
Anything wrong with just a nut and bolt?

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,048 Posts
Yeah, as said, 1/4" rivet, the new window regulator usually comes with new ones, but most people don't have a 1/4" rivet gun, so they bolt them in place. If you take a punch and knock the center of the rivet out, it will be easier to drill.

Reactions: jfourdyce

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, we’ll, pretty sure I’ve got to replace the reg. The motor spins when I desperate it from the reg, and the reg turns freely.

but bolted together it doesn’t want to move.

also, the window stays up when not hooked up.Is that ok or do I need to replace the seal?

·
Registered
477 Posts
If the regulator moves freely, the plastic gears in the window motor may be bad. If you put the load of the regulator on it, they may slip.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the regulator moves freely, the plastic gears in the window motor may be bad. If you put the load of the regulator on it, they may slip.
the motor won't even turn when I have it on the reg. for 120$ I guess i'll just replace it.

but should the window stay up without being connected to the regulator? or should it slide down under it's own weight?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,965 Posts
the motor won't even turn when I have it on the reg. for 120$ I guess i'll just replace it.

but should the window stay up without being connected to the regulator? or should it slide down under it's own weight?
Assuming your question is should the window stay up without being connected to the motor? If so, yes..The actual regulator is attached by the arms to the window..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Assuming your question is should the window stay up without being connected to the motor? If so, yes..The actual regulator is attached by the arms to the window..
so it is ok that there is enough friction in the seals and tracks to hold the window up?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,965 Posts
Actually, I stand corrected..I just replaced the passenger side motor a few months back..now I recall that the window did want to slide down with the motor removed..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts