Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rats nest of wires under my dash that i wanted out the only thing it was spliced through was a wire for this plug.

I know i got it taped up with masking tape for now i'll fix it properly when i go home from school to get my wiring stuff. If i didn't connect the wires back together the bronco wouldn't start it would turn on but not crank over. If they're connected everything works fine.

This is the rats nest i removed. I'm thinkin it was maybe for a remote starter? There was also 3 wire taps on some other wires that weren't hooked up. I don't think it was for an alarm cause the bronco has a factory alarm system.

The wire to the plug was cut and spliced so that the current would go down the white wire through the relay and back up the blue wire to the plug.

Here's some pics of the plug. It's located pretty much directly under the steering column. You can see the steering shaft universal in the pics. The number on the end of the plug is E8TB-14A624-AB if that helps.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco
540 Posts
hmmmmmmm there could be a few things cause it is just a relay but do you have aftermarket lights on you truck anywere?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i don't have lights any where now, but there's holes in the bumper and a a hole in the dash for a switch. The harness i pulled out seems a little complicated for lights. it has 2 diodes in the harness and a plug to go into a module or something. i can try and sketch a diagram of the harness if somebody wants to see it.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco
540 Posts
or it could be for a stereo someone put in there all special i see there is an inline fuse holder in line somewhere in there lol

·
Registered
1989 Bronco
540 Posts
well id say drive your truck around for a while and see if any lights comes on or something stops working because when lazy people remove something they do it half assed and leave that for the next owner

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
everything seems to be working. i was kind of worried that it would screw up my alarm and remote entry but it didn't seem to

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about the pics i was using my phone, kinda hard to hold a flashlight and take a pic awith a crummy phone camera. ya i was plannin on lookin through my service cd later today when i get some time.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Those first two pictures look like an alarm harness for an aftermarket alarm. It could have had remote start, or more likely, a starter disable. If my memory serves me right, the starter disable lines usually tap into the line coming from the ignition switch under the dash since it's close and convenient. Look in your book/cd and check what color the starter line coming off the switch is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya i knew the jumble of wires i cut out were aftermarket because of how it it was spliced into the original harness. I was really wondering what the gray plug under the dash that i have a picture of is for. I don't know y the po would have have put a aftermarket alarm in cause it has a factory alarm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been looking through my service cd and it looks like that that plug would go into the clutch pedal switch but since it's an automatic it has a jumper plug in it and just kind of sits there. That would expalin why it wouldn't start when the one wire was disconected.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just a thought but it looks kinda like the cut out switch the car dealers used to put on Veh. on the lots back in the mis 90's. I haven't seen one in a long time but they where simaler to what you have.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i install car alarms, and to me it looks like either a starter kill relay, or part of a power lock system, or a relay for offroad lights (all aftermarket)

if it was a starter kill relay, your truck would not run after taking that out, unless it was already disabled.

do you have factory power locks? the blue and white heavy gauge wires could have been the starter/ ignition switch sides of a dealership installed starter kill circuit. on 95% of ford vehicles with power locks the unlock/lock wires are pink-yellow / pink green.. plus its a reverse polarity system so there should be 2 relays.. so if they came off pink wires that could be it. also, i use to install dealership security systems in cars, and they had a solenoid that would unlock the cars without the key (wireless remote) that worked for every car, then just unpluged the harness when they sold the car.

Doorlocks/Windows
WIRE COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Power Unlock PINK/LIGHT GREEN (-) REVERSE POLARITY "USE DRIVER SWITCH TO TEST"
(+) ON FACTORY KEYLESS ENTRY EQUIPPED VEHICLES
PowerLock PINK/YELLOW (-) PASS KICK W/KEYLESS NEG TRIG W/OUT KEYLE
(+) ON KEYLESS EQUIPPED VEHICLES

either way, i dont think you need it. altho, the relay could be worth something, on my 1992 thats the same relay that powers the fuel pump/ horn/ eec exc. im a pack rat so i save everything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts