Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this bar and what purpose does it serve? I think it keeps the axle in line with the truck. It goes from the frame on one side to the axle on the other side. It seems like it would limit axle drop and flex. Do I need it? Is there a better way to do the same thing without limiting flex?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The trac bar keep's your body centered over your frame.If you lift your truck without lengthing your trac bar then your body will look like it's crooked on your frame.Also the higher you lift your truck the more your drivers side tire will stick out and your passenger tire will be cover by your body more.That'swhy that piece is welded in the center of the trac bar.Superlift make an adjustable trac bar,it's alot cleaner of an install.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
freak said:
The trac bar keep's your body centered over your frame.If you lift your truck without lengthing your trac bar then your body will look like it's crooked on your frame.Also the higher you lift your truck the more your drivers side tire will stick out and your passenger tire will be cover by your body more.That'swhy that piece is welded in the center of the trac bar.Superlift make an adjustable trac bar,it's alot cleaner of an install.
Umm, you want to explain this a little better? How does the trac bar keep the body centered over the frame?

It does nothing for the body. What it does is, keeps the axle tracking properly. You're right in saying that the higher it's lifted, the more it'll pull the axle over, but that has nothing to do with the body

Gud, yours is on upside down. Possibly an effort to cheat even more, to keep from having to buy a proper trac bar. That pipe welded in the center is a bit worrisome. If I were you, I'd buy an adjustable trac bar

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for the info... I guess being upside down doesn't hurt anything. It's been that way for years. Someone mentioned a drop down bracket for the trac bar. Why? Is that just to avoid buying a longer one, or is there another reason?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The reason they use a drop down bracket is similar to lengthening the arm both are to keep the axle in the proper place after lift. The problem is the more you lift, the more severe the angle of that bar becomes and if not kept in parrelell (or close) to your drag link it will cause excessive bump steering. Ceck out the pics on this page it will show you how they corrected the bump steer by lifting the trac bar mount off of the axle. Good luck and hope this helps.FB :thumbup

http://broncofix.com/Tech/chev/Chevy Tie Rod End Swap.htm

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
This post is a perfect example of "if you don't know the answer then STFU"

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Another way to fix *or at least improve* the track bar/drag link geometry in a lifted 78/9 is a dropped pitman arm. I couldn't tell by the picture if you've got that or not. I agree about the cut and sleeved track bar... it's a little creepy, but I've seen worse. Like a piece of 3/4" schedule 40 pipe with a slice of pipe booger-welded to each end :wacko

1 - 10 of 10 Posts