Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this in the yard t the new house. It was sticking up a little and looked like an old foundationpiller or something. I dug it out but noticed it had a pipe still connected to the bottom. Guessing old water line but unsure. House was built in 1947. I did not remove it untill I know what it is/was. The dirt was pretty muddy nearthe pipe. Any one got any ideas?

http://img200.imageshack.us/g/img00083201005022000.jpg/ ( all 4 pics dug up )

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
looks like some sort of an anchor point

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
To keep your dog from running away

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well talked with the local well inspectors and they have no idea what it would be for. The fact it has that much moisture around the pipe makes it puzzling. There are no building plans for the house because of it's age and they suggest not hacking the cement block off because if there is water and no one knows where to shut it off then there will be a huge mess. Thats a given and I do not plan to do any cutting excecpt for the metal peice on top to smooth it out. I guess I am going to have to find some old timer that was building house or has knowledge of houses built in the late 40's to see if it is a capped off well or a old abandoned city water line or something else.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,765 Posts
I'd dig down along side that "plug" a little more and see if you come up with an old septic tank or cistern.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do. I will post pics w/ results when I find out. What was the cistern (had to lookup that ) built like back in the 40's? Did they have huge containers? or small barrels type storage tanks? If I had to guess I would think this is the best possibility as of yet.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,765 Posts
Cisterns were typically made of concrete or brick.Used to store rain water for later use.When city water and modern wells were hooked up to houses,many cisterns were filled with sand and capped.They still can hold water.If thats what you have ,or septic for that matter,you should only have to dig another foot or so.If you have some kind of steel rod ,you can probe down with it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
anchor point, cistern, septic, property line marker(original), who the hell knows, dig it up!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it was a some kind of anchor point or at least that what it looks like. I took a stick and jammeed it down the hole and I could hear a hollow tapping noise but that's down another 2 ft at least. There is some kind of tank down there but I am not going to dig up the entire yard to find out what is down there. Betting it is the water storage abandoned though. I got what I came for. I was a little disapointed, was hoping it would be something cool and old but oh well..lol

Here is pics of what it was...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts