Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Use the Force...
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the rotor, cap, plugs and wires and since then it's been surging to 1500-2000 RPM on start up and and then coming down to about 900 or so. This ~200-300 higher than it was. As per some help I got here i checked vacuum lines but couldn't one out of place. I did, however, find this...

It goes where the white circle is on this pic. It's on the manifold where a hose runs to the throttle body. What is it?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
pretty sure that is a coolant temp sensor

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
You can probably find the ECT harness connector in the JY from a same year F150 for cheap, and just cut/splice it in if your wiring is damaged AND if you look closely at the ECT harness connector you'll notice that it "unsnaps" and comes apart depending on what you need to repair there, wiring or connector, ECT's can found in most auto stores and not expensive.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
446 Posts
You can probably find the ECT harness connector in the JY from a same year F150 for cheap, and just cut/splice it in if your wiring is damaged AND if you look closely at the ECT harness connector you'll notice that it "unsnaps" and comes apart depending on what you need to repair there, wiring or connector, ECT's can found in most auto stores and not expensive.

Connector looks good to me. I do see a problem w/the ECT, it's in two pieces. :toothless

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
Sometimes ECT's can separate and sort of "spin" in place so if that's the case I'd just replace it.

Idle surge could be more IAC or TPS related, an ECT is more of a fuel manager at cold start so break out the multimeter and test for voltage and resistance, refer to the Haynes Manual etc.

IAC's can be cleaned with TB cleaner and tested easily, with the engine up to normal temp, unplug the IAC and if the idle drops then your good to go, next unbolt it from the TB but leave it connected to the harness and watch for movement inside and if there is you're good to go. An extra pair of hands here comes in handy turning the ignition to RUN while you watch the IAC.

Voltage stetting for TPS is .93-.97 volts or less then 1 volt but remember TPS today are "plug and play" meaning there's no initial physical adjustment unless you modify the mounting screw holes....plenty of info here if you "search".

Idle issues could also be vaccum leak related as well so do a visual inspection of all of the plastic and rubber vaccum lines in the emissions system.

Pull codes from the computer as well..

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
You can also buy harness "pigtails" for repairs at most auto stores and they're not expensive.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts