Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of abuse can the M5OD 5spd really handle????

Didn't want to hi-jack the other thread, but I'm curious what the M50 5spd can handle.

I know its likely not rated real high, but just the same I'm curious.

Wish I had one in front of me to compare to say a Mopar A 833 4spd trans. I had a small block one of those years ago that held up fine to a very hyper 340ci. Although, it was in a light weight vehicle and we all know the weight of the rig can be the key to drivetrain parts surviving or not.

So, ........anyone have any knowledge of how the M50 internals compare with other trannies size wise etc. Are they really that light duty?

Any and all issues or non-issues encountered with the M50 would be really appreciated.

If memory serves me, I have read of a few guys beating the hell out of em in Broncos and they claimed never any trans issues.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
all i know is that the newer ones are aluminum so to my knowladage cant take a beating as the 4spd can

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have heard that the M5OD aint the preferred trans for wheeling, and that it is sort of weak......but my 1990 Bronco w/302 had one in it, and the truck had about 220,000 miles on her when I sold it, and by the looks of it that trans was the original, and from what I could tell it didn't look like it was ever cracked open or rebuilt.
I beat the piss out of that rig (it was my first FSB) and it never (the trans) skipped a beat. I taught my next-door neighbor's son how to drive a manual shift in it.....he was 11 at the time, and he beat on it a bit (both on the street and on the trails!!!), and the old M5OD still was shifting like butter.

Now I sold that rig about a year and a half ago I guess it was, but the guy who bought it still takes it into our shop for service.....so I still get to see her and drive her a bit every now and then.......the M5OD is still shifting like it did on day one!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great in my opinion

From my experience, the M5OD is pretty tough. I found out early that if I hit second gear hard enough I could bark the tires. Of course that was too much fun to resist. I've pulled stumps, other vehicles, heavy trailers, etc. with no damage. Replaced the clutch at 100k miles, and I've got 207k miles now with no transmission problems at all.

I mentioned in the other thread that my brother pulled a 7 1/2 ton fertilizer trailer with his Bronco among other abuse. He has 200k miles on his and has not had any problems with the M5OD.

Just my $.02 :twotu:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a lot of searching and re-reading threads late last night.

It is interesting that some have beat the crap out of em and had no issues, yet others have broken them quickly.

I must admit, I'd be worried about one holding up to my fresh 357, but ........maybe it would.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Im sure it would for a little while...but why wouldnt they put an M50D in an F-250????? Not enough nuts... I would do it right the first time and go ZF and never have to second guess yourself. Crap I read the only diff in the Diesel versions and the gas ones is the bell, internals are the same.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
If that is true (I thought they were the same) it would be relative since Diesels make power at way different RPM's then gas

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I think the M5OD has a bad rap for strength. I have put mine through lots of abuse and it has never gave me any trouble except for grinding gears due to bad syncros.

I have done this probably 150 times with it, and theres not much that will put more stress on gears and a transmission than what this does

·
Registered
196 Posts
i got a M5OD in my 92, with 146K on it. beat it up pretty well, and the only thing i had go wrong with it is I broke the shift forks, and hell, i drove it around without 3rd gear for almost a year before i got it fixed because i broke the 1-2 fork and couldn't go anywhere but reverse and OD. to each their own, but for some reason ford decided not to put the M5OD behind the powerhouse 351 and up engines, but of course they have done stupider things....(see http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49357)

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
7,080 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
If that is true (I thought they were the same) it would be relative since Diesels make power at way different RPM's then gas
The diesels got a "short" ZF5 that didn't have a first as deep as what the gassers got.

My M5OD findings....

My 92 bronco gets driven hard and fast, and shifts smooth still at 107K. Not even wink of trouble goin in to third where they sometimes have fits.

Dads 97 with almost 100K of hard haulin landscaping. Before I got my diesel it would pull the 9000lb trailer every mowing day all season. Still get 2000lbs+ of stone or whatever if I can't get my buddies ezdumper. Again, still shifts tight and right.

A 91 F150 excab long bed with a 302 put up with the same service + snow plowing till it was rusted beyond worth in 96

The real truck that proved the M5OD to me was a 88 F350 dually that dad got cheap in 90 with a blown 351. He traded the good C6 trans for a whole combo of a 300six/M5OD/BW1356 and my uncle and him swapped it in. That truck got the abuse of an even heavier trailer+ plowing. Wasn't the fastest up the hills, but it did always get there. Sadly, was destroyed in 95 by a drunk woman in a land cruser doin about 45 when we were sitting at a stop. Only thing that was still good was the front clip and 300 six. (which is still in a frends van at 350K+ no rebuild!)

I don't really care what the numbers say for the M5OD, it is tough enough for me. Sure some have had problems, but so does every other tranny.

That being said, if I was going to the effort to swap in a five speed, and I didn't have an M5OD sitting around (which i do) I would go with the ZF5. Heck, why not the ZF6 then...

Adrianspeeder

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
MikE2 said:
I think the M5OD has a bad rap for strength. I have put mine through lots of abuse and it has never gave me any trouble except for grinding gears due to bad syncros.

I have done this probably 150 times with it, and theres not much that will put more stress on gears and a transmission than what this does

:stupid, although mine doesn't grind, it does shift kinda rough as opposed to the GMC Jimmy 5 speed i test drove over the weekend, i couldn't feel the synchros in the Jimmy, but in my F-150 i can feel the synchros whenever i shift, maybe this is due to 108k old tranny fluid...:brownbag :wacko

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MikE2 said:

So to clarify, this pictured truck is running the M50D, the Mazda Trans????

What engine, with what kind of HP, and what gears if ya don't mind me asking.

Thats a good sales pic on the trans.

Thanks much for all the input and spearience guys

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
408Bronco said:
So to clarify, this pictured truck is running the M50D, the Mazda Trans????

What engine, with what kind of HP, and what gears if ya don't mind me asking.

Thats a good sales pic on the trans.

Thanks much for all the input and spearience guys
Yes, the Mazda M5OD
And teh engine is just a 302, mostly stock but tuned a little. Maybe 225 HP.
I'm in second gear which is a 2.25 ratio, low range on the T-case, and 4.88 axle gears both with locked ARB's
That picture was taken right before I redlined the engine, maybe at about 3000 RPM's there. After the pic was taken the engine hit 5700RPM's untill the end of the pull.
Tons of guys break transmissions, U-joints and rear axle gears doing this. I have never broke anything and like I said I have done this at least 150 times. Consistant 1st/2nd place finisher too

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW :shocked , impressive.

Any ideas on what the difference is on well lets say the trans..........stress wise.......between having more power going into it, then less power but with the torque multiplication of lower gears????

Still just trying to get an idea of .....if this trans might handle a 350 to 400+ hp engine with less axle gear.

My reason for interest in this trans........to clarify, is still the ratios being better for the street. Additionaly, it doesn't hurt that they are a lot cheaper and easier to obtain.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Actually the low gears are probably making it easier on the transmission.
The hardest part on the transmission is probably starting off from a stop and doing the Kentucky burnouts. It puts quite a shock load through all the gears

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:doh0715: So much for lifting the front wheels (or a wheel) on the street. Likely more like scattering trannie parts all over the intersection.

I'm currently running the E4OD with ratios of I believe; 2.71,1.53,1.00,.71 (1st - 4th). Now if I found the right info on the M50DR2 it has 3.91,2.24,1.49,1.00,.80.

So although first still in reality seems slightly low compared to second, that first gear is still equal to running a 5.00 ring & pinion with the E4OD, while yet just running say a 3.50 with the 5spd.

I recognise the auto has some slip, which adds rpm, and torque multiplication of the convertor. However, these damn E4OD's are expensive and I do love the simplicity of a manual trans setup. Plus I've always loved manual trannies.

Just basically giving some serious thought to acquireing the parts for a manual trans conversion, and possibly the M50D in anticipation of my E4OD needing a rebuild.

My problem with the M50 would likely be trying to drive it like a mucle car. Meaning some attempted clutch dumps, and fast shifting.

Also thinking if it might live, that first gear could save me from having to regear the Nodular 9" 3rd member I have read to be part of a rear axle swap.

Just some thoughts........... :popc1:

Wonder what stronger manual trans might have similar ratios?

Again, I seem to remember a diesel version of the ZF with close ratio gears. Wonder if those could be put in the gas case, bet they could.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
What size tires you running and what engine?

Because you will want that low first gear to get moving with an engine like a small block that dont make a lot of torque off idle. Otherwise your going to go through a lot of clutches and very jerky starts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
See my sig...........rollerised 357 for now, with very decent heads (killer flow, especially low lift numbers), only 33's now, but thinking 35's next. Still 90% street, hopeing to make it 90% off pavement eventually, but that could be a while.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.