Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of piecing parts together for my dual battery setup instead of buying it from painless wiring....I have a question on what type of battery cables i should use to connect the two batteries together.And if possible is there anywhere i can buy them online?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
you guys saw that thread i posted with a relay from autozone? HERE IT IS i am helping jon get the parts together for basically a painless setup. 200a relay, spdt switch (i like on-off-momentary on personally, no chance of draining both if you leave it switched on) and wire and cable. he has a MM12K and when they are connected, my first worry is that the winch will draw more power than the relay can handle. its only 200a same as painless. second, what size cable is needed to connect the batts thru the relay? wont be more than 1 foot of cable as it will all be side by side. those are the only heavy connections needed. secondary batt to relay and relay to main batt. i also thought about thick copper bar or flat stock to connect them.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
yeah thanks ryan. i have had that pic up on my superford site for a while. thats the way i got it for some reason and i never rotated it. any thoughts on cable size since they will be feeding a winch? plus do you think that 200a relay will cut it under draw from the MM12K? if he used flat copper bars, how thick should they be?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I had always planned on finding 1/4 x 1" copper flatbar, then drilling and/or bending as I needed it. Question - what amp rating would that toggle switch be?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to Ax and everyone else for helping me out!!!! :beer .

As for what size guage,i have to say its better to be safe than sorry...So with that being said,what size should i run?

And to dave,the toggle switch is a 15amp

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
the toggle is 15 jon says. and the diagram calls for a 10 fuse inline between the secondary batt and switch. see dave, i dont want too thick a cable as that will draw more than the relay can handle. i would rather fry the relay i think than the cables. maybe not. so with the bar, it would surely fry the relay first. that would be ok.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
ok this is a list that should get you the same setup as painless. you can eliminate a few things like the boots for the terminals & the shrink wrap, any anything you may have. use red electric tape or liquid tape. its Waytek part numbers for the wires and stuff.

31.99 relay NAPA ST36 oreileys borg/warner s5057 possibly ss134 ask for winch or plow relay. 200a or look on ebay they are $42

4.58 2.29 pn 36205 x2 battery terminal
4.28 2/0 red wire 1.07 per/ft, 4 ft pn wb00-2
1.10 eyelets pn 36432 x2 2/0 eyelets, 3/8" hole
0.82 red terminal boots x2 pn 23505
0.48 fuse holder pn 46020
0.36 fuse cover pn 46019
5.10 lighted toggle pn 44207
2.46 12" heat shrink red pn 22233
10 feet of red 14ga
10 feet of blue 14ga
10 feet of yellow 14ga
i didnt add it all up & i cant recall the painless cost. but thats everything.
2/0 for power between the batts and relay. since the alt isnt pushing any more amps, i dont see a reason to upgrade that wire in my stock 79 system. anybody?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I was just planning on puttting mine in Parrellel seems easier :thumbup

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i have two in parallel also. but the other day my regulator fried and i would have liked to have had a third battery to get my truck started. i am adding the third using these parts to have it on the ready. i also thought about having an isolator involved in the mix too, but not for now. i have this roughly sketched out if someone wants to see it. its not really a schematic just a pic i hijacked to draw on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts