Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks..

So I've had a tilted front end (car sits higher on driverside and lower on passenger, 2" difference)for a while now, at first I thought it was the shocks, got those replaced, then it's still angled, now another tech pointed out it may be the bushings.

I go in today thinking the bushings would fix the problem, once it's on thelift they tell me the bar where the radiator sits on, is rusted through and I have to get that replaced before they touch the bushings, anyone got a picture of this bar/frame/cross member and what is it called? It looks like the bushings sit almost on top of it.

The shop told me it's gonna be a lot of work, so much they turned me away because most of front end will have to come out, and labor would be in the range of 700-800????

Is this really as bad as it sounds?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Not that big a deal, I got mine from JBG, painted it with about 3-4 coats of Rustoleum. Only other trick I did was to bungee the A/C condenser to the engine compartment so it wouldn't be in the way (remove the radiator, of course) and put a piece of cardboard to keep the fan from denting the condenser. If you look close at the picture, you can see that my core support came out without unbolting it from the frame, it was rusted completely through on both sides. Make sure you get all the hardware, including the strange hex-headed rubber supports, and the bolts and spacers.

Old one at the top, new one on the bottom

I used a ton of cheap sandwich zip-loc bags, blue masking (painters) tape and a permanent marker. When I took something apart, I placed the hardware in a bag, and labeled the bag with the marker, and if possible, taped the hardware to the piece it came from. I labeled the turn signal/parking light wires too.

I also bought a couple packages of those plastic "trees" that attach things like the air inlet duct (for example). Also needed was a couple of packages of those "U" shaped nuts in various sizes (like the way the bumper is attached, and the battery brackets) some of mine were so rusted that they were useless. Also buy some of the bolts. Another thing I did was to replace the turn signal and parking light bulbs, as they are a PITA to replace and I didn't know how much vibration damage they might have got from the front end bouncing on the frame before I replaced the rad support.

As for tools, a set of deep metric sockets and some long extensions make the job easier. I used a couple of those plastic milk crates to stand on (makes it easier unless you have 48" long arms!). A piece of tape inside the socket will help keep from dropping bolts, especially around the headlight assemblies.

Don't tighten the two big mounting bolts, the three (or four on each side) fender to rad support bolts, and one of the battery box bracket bolts until you are almost done, as the rad support might not be in exactly the right place, and your hood/fender line might not line up nicely. I used a pry bar to move the rad support sideways to align the hood/fender line, it'll slide a little even with everything attached. The fenders are attached to the rad support, but the hood is attached at the cowl. (A couple of long extensions make tightening the rad to frame bolts easier, as you can get them from the top.)

I also cut out (with a sawzall) the old diagrams (belt routing/AC info, etc.) that were on the old rad support, I saved them and someday I'll pop rivet them to the new support. Speaking of pop-rivets, you'll need a couple of small ones to reattach the clips that hold the jack handle.

Additionally, I put anti-seize on all the fasteners in case I ever need to take it apart again, my personal preference because I'm in Michigan, and the salt used on the roads tries to eat or rust everything.

Take lots of picture (I didn't do that). The job isn't that hard, just a lot of "stuff" to take off and put back on.

See post:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196293

Good Luck!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So radiator support = core support, or is something different? It looks like radiator support is the term and what part store's uses

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts