Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my engine now, its a 78 f250 2 wheel drive with a 71 351 Cleveland (don't know hp yet), c6, and a Dana 60 rear end with 3.88 gears, and i want to know what kind of fan i should get/use. Its going to be a DD and maybe a weekend fun truck, and i do drive kinda aggressive. So should i get a radiator mounted or a pulley mounted one, and what brand.

·
Banned
495 Posts
you could put a inverter on it and get one of them box fans from walmart to put in there with some duc tape.. that would be cool, or you could go with a lincon mark v fan like everyone else.. HARdy Har AHar

Ray

·
Registered
455 Posts
Electric fans have the advantage of taking some drag off the engine, but if you want the most efficient cooling go with the stock fan and shroud. For max cooling, use a Ford Supercool radiator and shroud; no overheating with that puppy.....

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Electric fans have the advantage of taking some drag off the engine, .....
?? How's that? When the electric fans are running, they pull as much or more off the engine (via the alternator) than the pulley fan for equivalent airflow. The pulley drive is more efficient too..the alternator efficiency multiplied by the fan e-motor efficiency is less than that for belt drive. The clutch fans pull very little when the raddy is hot since the clutch unloads thermostatically and the fan almost free-wheels..

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
?? How's that? When the electric fans are running, they pull as much or more off the engine (via the alternator) than the pulley fan for equivalent airflow. The pulley drive is more efficient too..the alternator efficiency multiplied by the fan e-motor efficiency is less than that for belt drive. The clutch fans pull very little when the raddy is hot since the clutch unloads thermostatically and the fan almost free-wheels..
The electric fan almost never runs, though. Over time, less drag. If I'm moving over 25 mph, the fan isn't running. In the winter, it basically never runs, unless I'm idling in line at McD's.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
The electric fan almost never runs, though. Over time, less drag. If I'm moving over 25 mph, the fan isn't running. In the winter, it basically never runs, unless I'm idling in line at McD's.
Plus, if you want to get fancy, you can put a pressure swtich to turn the fan off upon full throttle. I have a fan controller that runs the fans up from zero to max depending upon need and how far off temp I am from where it wants to be. It eliminates the loss from that massive 60 amp spike of those tortus fans. Overall, I'd guess it draws as much or less power than a HD stock setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts