Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear bearings in my 8.8 are worn so im doing a complete re-gear to 4.56. I also want to put a locker in the back, I want to stay away from the lunchbox lockers. Is there anything cheaper than the detroit locker, which will do good?

:rebelflag

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Detroit locker is the way to go I have one in my 94. It does take alittle getting use to. I like mine none the less and it doesn't make any more niose than my ez locker in my 86F150.

·
Registered
196 Posts
spool advantages
100% predictable
no massive backlash, about 10deg times your gear ratio according to the detroit manual
cheap

spool disadvantages
tire wear
only GOOD drivers that are not scared of sideways action need apply
tire wear

can you get a Cclip spool? are Bronco 8.8s Cclip?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes the bronco 8.8. is a c clip. I think we all need to know what the intentions are for this bronco in order to provide the best possible answer and get the most for your dollar here. Street daily driver,weekend trail basher or just a hunting vehicle all this info will help us to help you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the driver is more important then the useage.

I like a full spool rear in my daily driver.
I cannot let my wife or friends (maybe my brother) drive anything like that 'on road' if there is even a slight chance of precipitation.

the detroit is very near the same in that regard.
a real 'driver' has to be at the wheel

I also do not think an automatic offers the wheel control required to control a locked rear in the snow.

my truck has a detroit rear

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would agree that the driver must always be aware and keep a firm hand on the wheel especially during wet conditions. I like the detroit because it does have the capability of uncoupling for turns as a locker doesn't. I went with the detroit true trac for the front of my 94 bronco. I like my setup very well so far. 4.56 gears as well.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i went true trac rear. and if you keep on the gas around a corner and accelerate you gotta hang on, and the tires will chirp a little. it is a nice L/S so far. both tires spin when you want em to.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
The Eaton ELocker is a full case locker and Auburn now has an electric locker available for the 8.8. Detroits Electrac isn't available for the 8.8 yet. The Eaton ELocker price is competive with the Detroit. :chili:

EDIT: In Response to Andy351's following response The actuator as he puts it is inside the Eaton ELocker (unlike certain models of the Detroit Electrac) and therefore isn't prone to breakage. There plenty of broken troits out there.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that a 'lunchbox locker' would be something similar to a Lockright?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts