Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read most of the MAF conversion threads, and I'm aware of the WAY1, VEX1, BIO1, and the Lightning and Cobra ECMs that people are using. Most of those are hard to find or expensive, and I was wondering what makes them programmable. And, why the other 1995 ECMs used in Federal & California vehicles are not.

A recent post led me to the Motorcraft site where you can look up all the emission labels for 95 BKO's, and it lists several other ECMs. F5TF-12a650-YB, F5TF-12a650-AAA, and F5TF-12a650-AAB to name a few. So, are only some programable, and if so how can you tell which ones are and which ones aren't?:popc1:

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Your ECM has to have a Useable J3 Port. Then you can use something like this.
http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html?cPath=63

(Quote From Moates) http://support.moates.net/2009/05/06/ford-overview-read-me/
We offer products that work with almost all ~1986-2004 Ford ECUs that have a J3 port (i.e. EECIV and EECV). International users report success using our products with non-US computers that have a J3 port. A J3 port looks like an edge of a circuit board that kind of sticks out. J3 ports must be cleaned with a wire brush and solvents in order to remove the protective coating on the circuit board before they can be used. They are almost always behind a rubber protective panel. We do not offer any products for Ford computers that lack a J3 port, such as pre-1986 and 2005+ computers. Also, cars branded by Ford but manufactured by others (i.e. Ford Probe, made by Mazda) often use computers that lack J3 ports.

If I remember Correctly, and I may be totally wrong, One of the problems is finding programming software that is compatible with your ECM Code, thats one of the reasons why particular codes are preferred over others. Also different codes support different emissions components as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
If you look at this list from TunerPro, you will notice Not One Single F-150 or Bronco ECM is supported......

Ford (requires v4.13 or higher)
ID

Bin Definition

Last Updated

Application
T23B

T23B.xdf

3/13/09

8UA - 88 2.3l Thunderbird auto
LB3 - 87-88 2.3l Thunderbird auto
LA3 - 88 2.3l Thunderbird 5sp

Definition maintained by Dex
GUFA

GUFA.xdf

4/12/08

8LD - '88 - '93 5.0l Mustangs
A9S - '88 - '93 5.0l Mustangs

GUFB (A9L)

GUFB.xdf

4/12/08

A9L - 88-92 Mustang 5.0L
A9M - '89 - '93 5.0l Mustang
A3M - 93 5.0 Mustang
A3M1 - 93 5.0 Mustang
A3M2 - 93 5.0 Mustang
D3D1 - 89-93 5.0 Mustang
S0Z - 89-93 5.0 Mustang
X3Z - 93 5.0 Cobra

GUF1

GUF1.xdf

4/12/08

A9P - '89 - '92 5.0l Mustang auto
A9T - '89 - '93 5.0l Mustang auto
C3W - '93 5.0l Mustang auto
C3W1 - '93 5.0l Mustang auto
8LF - '88 - '93 5.0l CA Mustang auto
CDAN4

CDAN4.xdf

1/23/06

96-97 4.6L Mustang, T-Bird, Crown Vic
96-97 3.8L Mustang

NOTE: This XDF is for "full" binaries. Only 256k 0189 EEC-V files should be used.
CRAJ0

CRAJ0.xdf

8/15/06

LAQ2 - 98 3.8l Mustang
AOL2 - 98 4.6l 4V Mustang
AOL3 - 98 4.6l 4V Mustang
CBAZA

CBAZA.xdf

10/1/07

L4C1 - 94-95 5.0l Mustang 5sp export market
J4J1 - 94-95 5.0l Mustang Cobra 5sp
T4M0 - 94-95 5.0l Mustang 5sp
U4P0 - 94-95 5.0l Mustang auto
W4H0 - 94-95 5.0l Mustang auto
ZA0 - 95 5.8 Mustang Cobra R 5sp
FCL0 - 95 5.0l Mustang auto Japan market
S4M1 - 5.0l auto
LUX0

LUX0.xdf

12/12/07

DA1 - '87 Mustang 5.0L
DB1 - '88 Mustang 5.0L
L8

IAW048_01.xdf

3/19/08

Sierra Sapphire 4wd Cosworth L8
L1

IAW045_01.xdf

3/19/08

Sierra 3 door Cosworth L1
L6

IAW045_06.xdf

3/19/08

Sierra Sapphire 2wd Cosworth L6
HWAD3

HWAD3.xdf

8/21/08

6DBD - 1998 Futura/GLI, 4.0L, auto
6DNB - 1998 GLI, 4.0L, auto
6TEE - 1998 XR6 Ghia, 4.0L, auto

May also work with:
6DAC - 1998, unknown, 4.0L, manual (HWMD3 strat.)
6DMA - 1997 XR6, 4.0L, auto (HWAC2 strat.)

(Requires 256KB bin with first 8KB to be null-padded)
N4AGB

N4AGB.xdf

8/26/08

4DBG - 1995 Futura/GLI, 4.0L, auto
4TEG - 1995 Futura/GLI, 4.0L, LPG

May also work with:
4TBD - 1994 Fairmont Ghia, 4.0L, auto (N4AG9 strat.)

(Requires 256KB bin with first 8KB to be null-padded)
NVMG8

NVMG8.xdf

9/18/08

1996-1998 Ford 5 Litre Falcons & Fairlanes

6DFC 1996 EL XR8 manual HO 5ltr
6DFD 1998 EL XR8 Manual HO 5ltr (Explorer Intake)
6DGC 1996 NL Fairlane Ghia auto HO 5ltr
6DGD 1997 EL Fairmont Ghia auto HO 5ltr

Provided and maintained by Jaysen Anderson

Jaysen's notes:

A lot of these parameters are still untested, Ive tried the more common ones ie WOT fuel & Spark, idle rpm etc. However if you choose to play with these, be aware of that you do so at your own risk.

The 6DFC & 6DGC both work on the 6DFC xdf file, and 90% of the parameters work for the 6DFD & 6DGD, however I will get a revised xdf for the FD&GD bins asap.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can find ECM Codes here.....

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17
Yes, as I said, i'm aware of most of the ECMs that have been discussed on this site. But, based on Motorcrafts site, their are at least 5 others that were used in California (maf,sfi,cali emissions) and several Federal that have NOT been discussed nor do they show up on Ryans list. And, those are only the ones from 5.8L and e4od Bronco's.

I have a F5TF-12a650-YB (JOG1) in my hands and it has the same plug as shown in this thread in the ECC Tuning thread. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199811

So, I'd like to know if it takes more than just having a J3 plug. What exactly is a 'Useable J3 plug". And, how can I find out if this one or any of the other will work,

"jowens1126 said;
One of the problems is finding programming software that is compatible with your ECM Code, thats one of the reasons why particular codes are preferred over others. Also different codes support different emissions components as well."

So, how do I find out if this one or any of the others have a code that works or "Is the ECM Code not compatible with programming software?":whiteflag

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Moving to "EEC" tuning.

It all depends on the computer strategy.
The first step would be to find out what strategy a JOG1 uses, and then find out if that strategy has been broken and to what extent.

This thread may help you.
http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67788

Edit
------------------------------------------------------
Move complete, Welcome to the EEC Tuning sub forum

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Moving to "EEC" tuning.

It all depends on the computer strategy.
The first step would be to find out what strategy a JOG1 uses, and then find out if that strategy has been broken and to what extent.
Gack hit the nail on the head.

A moates quater horse or tweecer will plug into ANY ford EEC with a j3 port and can probably pull the tune/calibration off the stock eec.

But to modify it you need to have a working or "broken out" strategy for the eec you are using. Not all of fords strategys have been broken out by someone into a useable form.

Tweecer supports more than the quaterhorse, but I have heard some of the less popular ones are a little buggy at best.

An example....My 98 ford ranger with a 3.0 and 5spd has an eec with a box code of GTA1(This more or less denotates the calibration used) The strategy it uses is PAAD5. Tweecer "supports" it (not sure how well it is supported) but the quarterhorse doesn't.

Basically it means tweecer can interperet the calibration that is pulled off the eec so that it can be viewed an edited. the QH can't.

The strategy is just like a file with rules/guidlines and layouts of how that particular eec works. The calibration is the different vaules/data of the particular engine and related components that tell the eec what is going on.

Make sense?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gack hit the nail on the head.

A moates quater horse or tweecer will plug into ANY ford EEC with a j3 port and can probably pull the tune/calibration off the stock eec.

But to modify it you need to have a working or "broken out" strategy for the eec you are using. Not all of fords strategys have been broken out by someone into a useable form.

Tweecer supports more than the quaterhorse, but I have heard some of the less popular ones are a little buggy at best.

An example....My 98 ford ranger with a 3.0 and 5spd has an eec with a box code of GTA1(This more or less denotates the calibration used) The strategy it uses is PAAD5. Tweecer "supports" it (not sure how well it is supported) but the quarterhorse doesn't.

Basically it means tweecer can interperet the calibration that is pulled off the eec so that it can be viewed an edited. the QH can't.

The strategy is just like a file with rules/guidlines and layouts of how that particular eec works. The calibration is the different vaules/data of the particular engine and related components that tell the eec what is going on.

Make sense?
So, it's not about what chip or processor is on the board. If it has a J3, it can be reprogrammed. But, since most of the experienced reprogramers work on 5.0L mustangs, most of the eec's for 5.8L don't get worked on as much or at all.

The 'Strategys' are the program, what to do based on different conditions (cold start up, warm running, wot and such) and the 'Calibrations' are the data (what values to look for under each circumstance, and what new data to use when conditions change). So, it could be possible for someone to decode the strategy and rewrite the calibration tables. Although because there are so few people that need to reprogram EECs for 5.8L Broncos to produce low end torque and good emissions, the price might be prohibitive. Do I basicly have the general idea?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Yes you got it.

I've been talking to a engineer I bumped into about it. He was saying that he *could* decode just about any eec I give him, but it would be very time consuming. from what he said you basically have to find a disassembler to "decode" the info into something like hexadecimal and then pick thru the code line by line to figure out what it meant. Then after one was finished he could construct some kind of program to do others. I barely grasped what he was talking about, but it sounded interesting....and expensive, lol. I have to send him some files so he can see how easy/difficult it would be. He seemed to think that an OBDII EEC would be easier, something about the code was standardize then, and there was already info out on how to break it out to something useable. I'm thinking what he is talking about is just the generic OBDII data that all cars 96+ used to be fed compliant. I don't think it would get into the ford specific stuff. I will find out thou.:thumbup

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes you got it.

I've been talking to a engineer I bumped into about it. He was saying that he *could* decode just about any eec I give him, but it would be very time consuming. from what he said you basically have to find a disassembler to "decode" the info into something like hexadecimal and then pick thru the code line by line to figure out what it meant. Then after one was finished he could construct some kind of program to do others. I barely grasped what he was talking about, but it sounded interesting....and expensive, lol. I have to send him some files so he can see how easy/difficult it would be. He seemed to think that an OBDII EEC would be easier, something about the code was standardize then, and there was already info out on how to break it out to something useable. I'm thinking what he is talking about is just the generic OBDII data that all cars 96+ used to be fed compliant. I don't think it would get into the ford specific stuff. I will find out thou.:thumbup
I went to the Moates site that jowens1126 recommended, and found a spreed sheet that listed the EEC code and the Strategy for it. Vex1 & Way1 were listed as vex1 strategy and Bio0 was listed as AHACA. No listing for my Jog1, and I don't know what the code names of the F5TF-AAA or F5TF-AAB so I wasn't able to look them up.

I need a new EEC for my MAF upgrade, and haven't been able to find a Bio0. I did find this Jog1 but it's Federal and not California, but I did find some of the F5TF-AAAs which are California and for a 5.8L & e4od. I could just go with the stock program on one of these AAAs, but if a had a problem passing Smog it would be nice to know that I could reprogram it. It's kind of a gamble spending all that time and money installing the new EEC, MAF, and wiring only to fail and have to take it all off.:cry

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
What requirements do you need in the eec. Obviously able to control an E4od.
What else?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What requirements do you need in the eec. Obviously able to control an E4od.
What else?
Right now, just the 5.8L, E4od, and Maf. Later maybe a different cam. But, to tell the truth I'm just so new to all this I'm not sure what I need.

I'm not looking to build some special application motor, but I know that I'm going to have to pull the engine fairly soon. Compression is pretty varied and i'm starting to show signs of blow-by. So, if I'm going to have to pull the block, I'm planning on doing some upgrades (cam, pistons, heads, intake). And, I just want to be sure that it isn't all in vein when I go to the smog guy.

I checked out the QH site and found little info on the EECs I'm looking at. But, on the Tweecer site I found this on the Jog1 that I have.

Model Year Type Litres Part No Strategy Catch Code Hardware
F-SERIES MY95 V8 5.0L F5 ICY1 JOG1 EFI-SD48B
So, now I need to pull the other 95 EECs that I'm looking at to find their Catch Code and find out if any of them are supported.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
You could use a MAF 5.0 E4OD EEC. A few things would be off because of the CID being wrong,(I think engine load would be off....not sure how that would affect the trans) but i think it would be close enough to run with problems.

Or you could get a tweecer/quaterhorse and change the displacement with that.

Are you wanting to stay obd1?

Also, be aware there are a few bronco EECs that use 2 main HEGOs (one on each bank) I think they are all obd2 thou

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like my HOG0 is supported by Tweecer. Thats good to know. I might have to look into getting one of those.
Yes, the 94 5.0L had a Hug0 part no. F4TF-12a650-AAA. There was also a F5TF-12a650-AAA that was used in the 95 5.8L e4od Broncos. I'd like to know if that one is a Hog0 also.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could use a MAF 5.0 E4OD EEC. A few things would be off because of the CID being wrong,(I think engine load would be off....not sure how that would affect the trans) but i think it would be close enough to run with problems.

Or you could get a tweecer/quaterhorse and change the displacement with that.

Are you wanting to stay obd1?

Also, be aware there are a few bronco EECs that use 2 main HEGOs (one on each bank) I think they are all obd2 thou
Yes, I'd like to stay OBD-1 which is why I'm looking at 95 EECs. And, why I'm looking at the 95 5.8L EECs so I don't have to worry about the displacement issue. Finding a 95 5.8L EEC that can be reprogrammed is my fall back position in case I run into smog issues with the swap.:thumbup

I've replace all the cats and muffler, but I put off replacing the down pipes until I get my new headers. Then I'll have the muffler shop build me a set of y-pipes with Hegos at each bank with a 3rd in the H-pipe like it is now. Then I'll just plug up the ones in each bank until the new ECC is install at which time I'll plug up the one in the H-pipe.

I don't have the cash to do everything right now. I just rebuilt the trans, and replaced the cats back to the tail pipe. Next up is upgrading the stock 3.55s and adding a LS. After that a Performer intake, MAF, and headers. Then I'll start thinking about rebuilding a roller block, with new pistons, and new heads and cam. Then when the present block, gives up the ghost, I'll be ready for the swap.:rockon

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Yes, I'd like to stay OBD-1 which is why I'm looking at 95 EECs. And, why I'm looking at the 95 5.8L EECs so I don't have to worry about the displacement issue. Finding a 95 5.8L EEC that can be reprogrammed is my fall back position in case I run into smog issues with the swap.:thumbup

I've replace all the cats and muffler, but I put off replacing the down pipes until I get my new headers. Then I'll have the muffler shop build me a set of y-pipes with Hegos at each bank with a 3rd in the H-pipe like it is now. Then I'll just plug up the ones in each bank until the new ECC is install at which time I'll plug up the one in the H-pipe.

I don't have the cash to do everything right now. I just rebuilt the trans, and replaced the cats back to the tail pipe. Next up is upgrading the stock 3.55s and adding a LS. After that a Performer intake, MAF, and headers. Then I'll start thinking about rebuilding a roller block, with new pistons, and new heads and cam. Then when the present block, gives up the ghost, I'll be ready for the swap.:rockon

I read through the post and you have got a good understanding of computer vs strategies vs tuning.

I was looking for a WAY1 computer with VEX1 Strategy. I bought a computer in the same family/Computer code SMD-272. I was told by Mike Glover that any in that family will work with a Tweecer. Fordfuelinjection is a bit behind on strategies supported. If you got or know someone close with a Tweecer, you can read an EEC with the Tweecer on the bench, save it and send it to Mike. This opens-up more possibilities for us and the Tweecer supports them. I have a Tweecer, read the unit I got, sent the file To Mike, he told me it would work and the strategy to use is AHACA. It's a strategy in the line/series of the VEX1.

Guess what computer I got? I bet that computer will work, see pic of what I will run below not the computer code, hardware/family code and it shows a strategy of FLY1:

Same isn't it?

I have my MAF/Blower tune built, just need to find time to swap-in my go fast stuff.

Good Luck with yours!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't know if someone has said it but the ECMs are not reprogrammable...When the truck is started the ECM first looks at the J3 port for a tune and if it doesn't find one it reverts to the stock tune programmed into the ECM from ford. What is programmable is the hardware that you attach to the J3 port, which could be many...most use QH or Tweecer. If you were to buy a QH or Tweecer and plug it into the J3 port and try to start your car/truck it would not do anything....the reason is because there is no tune programmed into the hardware you attached to the J3 port.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Very good point...The original calibration always stays on the ecm with a tweecer or quaterhorse. the j3 port just enables it to be bypassed.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts