Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well been told my pickup coil is causing my carb backfire and should be replaced. On top of that the vacuum advanced has been blown for quite a while now. A new vacuum advanced pot is $43 by itself, a pickup coil is almost $35. So I was thinking of just going with a new rebuilt dizzy with a warranty.

Anyone have any recommendations? ive heard some problems on this forum with the MSD dizzy's so I was going to stray away from those.

Autozone has a rebuilt cardone dizzy with single vacuum for $43.99 + my $20 gift card comes to $28 with taxes, with a limited life time. Add the vacuum pot it will be around $50..

Anyone else got any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've never ran a MSD on a 5.0 or 5.8 but I've ran them on a 2.3L ford and a 351C before and I never had any trouble with it. I ran on the 2.3L for about 3 or 4 years and the only thing I ever replaced was a cap and rotor.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the rest of the distributor good? Why not replace the pick-up coil in yours?
im pretty sure the rest of the dizzy is good, except the coil and the vacuum advance pot. Either way it requires removing the dizzy to replace.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, but at least you know it'll have new parts and not old parts that tested good.
yeah i guess i can do that. now i just gotta read into my chiltons for dizzy removal lol

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
You might want to look into getting a Ford HEI dizzy to replace all of the DuraSpark II junk if it's causing you problems. I paid about $70 for one shipped to my door for the 460. Before you pull the old dizzy, make a reference point in the engine bay where your rotor is pointing, so when you stab in the replacement ytou can at least start the motor to check timing.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would go with a factory repop setup. The bushings will wear out in yours after several thoushand miles. You can step up to the MSD part, but it is expensive and you will have to get it wired in. I like mine.

Chris

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The bushings will wear out in yours after several thoushand miles.
How can you know when the bushings will wear out? If you take the distributor out and the bushings are good, replace the bad parts (or all since you've got it out). My 120,000 mile old distributor felt better than 2 rebuilt units I looks at.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
And they can "FEEL" better. But the bushings can be warn out and dry oil/sludge holding the shaft in place. When you pull the dist apart to replace the stator, you can cause clearance issues. Basically, it will start to leak internally when you tear it down if you have too many miles. Seen it happen, but not very many times. Now, if you put an aftermarket (Vato Zone, O'Lappies) in there, you are no where NEAR the same quality as the factory setup or MSD.

Chris

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might want to look into getting a Ford HEI dizzy to replace all of the DuraSpark II junk if it's causing you problems. I paid about $70 for one shipped to my door for the 460. Before you pull the old dizzy, make a reference point in the engine bay where your rotor is pointing, so when you stab in the replacement ytou can at least start the motor to check timing.
but if i were to go HEI wouldnt I also have to replace the Coil to a higher voltage coil?

and JBG has these

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-28545_proform_351w_hei_conversion_distributor.htm

·
Registered
190 Posts
first you have to find out some details about your Dizzy, is it Steel or pot metal? if its pot metal you have to replace it with a pot metal Dizzy if its steel you have to replace it with Steel, I was told you cannot mix them up!

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how do i figure out which is which

·
Registered
190 Posts
you have to pull the old one but you should be able to call ford and ask a parts guy to check your VIN for the exact part number and order a replacement.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
first you have to find out some details about your Dizzy, is it Steel or pot metal? if its pot metal you have to replace it with a pot metal Dizzy if its steel you have to replace it with Steel, I was told you cannot mix them up!
????I think you mean the gear that drives the cam. If IT is steel or brass, IT will chew up the cam or gear. The body of the dist. should have no effect on what you have.

Chris

·
Registered
190 Posts
????I think you mean the gear that drives the cam. If IT is steel or brass, IT will chew up the cam or gear. The body of the dist. should have no effect on what you have.

Chris
They didn't really specify at the place I was at looking into replacing mine just made sure that I know what I had and said that if I didnt get the same I could damage something you could be exact I dont know I just tell em what I been told lol

but your answer is much better and more informative but if I was looking into distributors and didn know that little tid bit and it messed up my rig I'd be pissed!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd go the JBG HEI route. You will never regret it. I have a DUI ( Davis Unified Ignition ) HEI on mine. It really cleans up the engine comp. and was only a 1 wire hookup.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
but if i were to go HEI wouldnt I also have to replace the Coil to a higher voltage coil?
No. the "new" coil is located right on top of the dist cap. So you do not have to buy a separate one or one like your stock dizzy uses. The simplicity of the HEI and the one-wire 12v hook-up makes it worthwhile, and you can eliminate that pesky ignition module on the fender. Just look for an HEI made for your cid motor, and ask about any clearance issues with the water neck or other items on top of the intake. Only problem I had was the taller HEI hit the 14" air cleaner and the 18" Shaker base, so for now I have a 10" filter from Holley. You can also install a carb spacer to allow your filter to clear the dizzy cap. you might have a spark plug wire or two that's a bit too short due to the taller cap, JSM84

1 - 19 of 19 Posts