Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a current discussion about saving fuel, someone posted that you should use synthetic lubricants whenever you can except for the engine. Is that right?

I understood the concern on certain old 6 cylinders running phenolic gears, but is that a problem for 302 and 351? If so, I'm in trouble, I have a synthetic blend in my 302 right now.

What is the reasoning behind it? Anyone running synthetics that they have had good results with?

96ProjectBronco

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Hopefully Gackner will do a how-to on article on using google. There's tons of info available on this subject try searching for it.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
ToddACimer said:
Hopefully Gackner will do a how-to on article on using google. There's tons of info available on this subject try searching for it.
As requested
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60144

It's an old wives tale that if you put synthetic in older engines it make the seals leak.

I'v converted many vehichles over to synthetic with more than 100,000 miles on them. None of them leaked any more or any less than when they had dino oil in them.

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
I recently Put 10w-30 full synthetic in my 1993 302 fuel injected with 153,000 miles, no problems yet.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I've been using Mobil One for a long time in an assortment of engines, including my Kohler V-2 lawnmower. The only problem I ever had was with a 351 with 169k. The oil screen clogged up with sludge after about a thousand miles. The synthetic oil cleans so good causing the sludge to be broken loose and pumped through the screen. I drained the pan and changed oil several times. I may have run the engine for a short time with nothing but kerosene in it, but don't really know how wise that is.
I currently have 216k on my 94EB. Just returned from a 3500 mile trip out west with no problems and the oil level right at the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts