Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I recently purchased a dana 60 built by currie with 456 gears locker and disc brakes with a 5x 5.5 bolt patter and I was going to save up and build the front ttb44 with a detroit locker 456 gears and some heavy duty axle shafts , but the other night I blew apart the passenger side front axle shafts in the ttb and I was wondering whether I should just build up the ttb or I was contemplating a solid axle swap I'm just trying to get a idea on the parts I would need and an approximate cost

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
If you are talking about a 60 up front, I dont think you can do that with the 5 lug pattern. Its too bad you spent the money to make the rear 5 lug. You probubly paid extra to get a semi-float 60 to accomadate the 5 lug. I think you would be much happier to sell/trade that and go 8 lug (full float) all the way.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You could do a SAS using a half ton D44, and upgrade that with chromoly shafts etc. as the stock one break. They say you cn build a D44 up to bestronger than a stock D60, but will only take $$$ to do it.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
If you're only running 36 iroks you can run the solid 44 and just use aftermarket axleshafts and ctm u-joints. it'll hold the 36s just fine and you won't have to worry about a ton of custom fabrication, just a trac bar mount. Other than that, your best option is to go currie solid coil sprung dana 60 with 5 lug outers. Currie will give you any lug configuration that you need. Maybe call them and see if they can make 5 lug 1 ton outers for you.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
The problem with the 5 lug pattern is it is two small to fit the 1 ton wheel bearing/hub. As I understand it, the way they make a rear 60 5 lug is they use a semi-float so the hub doesnt stick through the wheel. There is no semi-float front diff. So the only way to make a 1 ton front axle five lug would be to change the outer spindles to 1/2 ton. You would still have to run 1/2 ton axles. (the 1 ton axles would not fit in a 1/2 ton spindle) Doing that would be crazy. You would get the disadvantages of the 60 without the advantages. (and pay extra for it) Just build a 44 or switch the whole mess to 8 lug.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
I'm not sure about using the 5-lug outers on a 8-lug set up. I've never had a 5-lug solid axle ever so I can't compare the 2. I will tell you though, it is very possible to create a 5-lug outer for an 8-lug set up. Using an 8-lug outer and just mill a new plate for the lug bolts. Currie makes 5-lug dana 60's, it can be done. Maybe not with stock OEM outers, but they can be made.

**also for your dana 60 swap --

You will need a leaf spring pack for your front lift, you will need a front spring mount fabricated, you will need a hanger & shackle combo for the rear of each leaf spring.

Also depending on the 60 you pick up, you may need to rebuild the ball joints or king pins so be prepared to shell out some dough when buying a used axle.

Also, once again, I'm a fan of buying a solid 44, just wanted to give you the information you were looking for.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
You can get a rear full floater 14 bolt that is 5 on 5 1/2. But that is a rear axle. I am not sure that you can get a front setup to fit 5 on 5 1/2 in a one ton axle though.

LINK

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
That is very intreasting. The axle ends on my 1 ton sterling are neerly 5 1/2". So you couldnt convert them. If they keep the stock wheel bearings, then they have to machine the outer hub alot thinner to eccept the hole on a 5-5 1/2. I dont think I would like that. If I were going to do something like that, I would machine out the center hole on the wheel bigger as much as I dare and then machine the hub down to that measurement.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
The only concern that I have ever had with making a D60 5 on 5 1/2 or rather any axle that you convert bolt patterns on, is finding brake rotors. What application are they using for these? They seem to be using bearings that are reasonably easy to get, but what happens if ya crack or warp a rotor? I want to be able to get my parts at whatever parts store in whatever podunk town I may be in or near when I need em.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
stacy david put two currie d60's under Ted Nugents bronco with 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern.;)
I wish I could afford those axles, I called about them, the rear is about $5500 and the front is $6500. Each of those are Double what I paid for my truck. lol

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to go with a dana 44 5 lug set up with james duff radious arm kit, james duff coil tower and coil bucket and james duff duel shock kit, and some deaver 6" coils from jbg and with those coils they recammend 7degree c bushings does that sound right? I'm just trying to figure out the steering is their a kit anywher? And what about the panhart bar?

·
Registered
153 Posts
There already is caster correction in the duff arms, iirc about 4 degrees, so you should be running 2 degree bushings, but it also depends how high or low you mount the upper spring buckets. the lower you mount them the more correction you will need, the higher you mount them the less you will need.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So with the duff arms. And 4 degree bushing how high should I have the bvuckets with 6 " deavers?

·
Registered
153 Posts
So with the duff arms. And 4 degree bushing how high should I have the bvuckets with 6 " deavers?
Well before you decide what degree buschings to run, you need to decide how much lift you want.

The 78-79 buckets have a lip on the bottom that goes under the frame, with thoes buckets mounted lip to the bottom of the frame and the deaver 6 inch coils etc will yeild roughly 7.5-8 inches of lift and would require 2 degree bushings.

I would guess 9-10 inches of lift would need 4 degree bushings.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
if you can get that D60 cheap, you can get a 10.25 even cheaper and have matching lugs. Id personally go that route, you will never have a problem with the D60 and 36's.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Well before you decide what degree buschings to run, you need to decide how much lift you want.

The 78-79 buckets have a lip on the bottom that goes under the frame, with thoes buckets mounted lip to the bottom of the frame and the deaver 6 inch coils etc will yeild roughly 7.5-8 inches of lift and would require 2 degree bushings.

I would guess 9-10 inches of lift would need 4 degree bushings.
Usually its every 4 inches is 2* of bushing, if you take a look around the 10-11" lift guys usually run 7*, and the 7" lift guys run 4*

Very true most push it forward an inch for full tire stuff clearance. And shadofax did move his up one inch to lower his bko.

I READ ALOT!
When you lift a truck and dont move the tire forward most often times it sits back in the wheel well towards the door. If you SAS, usually everyone moves the axle an inch or two forward so it sits correct, and yes so they can stuff and not hit the back of the fenders.

if you can get that D60 cheap, you can get a 10.25 even cheaper and have matching lugs. Id personally go that route, you will never have a problem with the D60 and 36's.
I definitely agree, but i think a 44hd would be just fine. A D44 is good for 36's as long as you aren't crawling rocks or aren't running a locker.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts