Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have tried to clean out all the [email protected]#$ in my engine`s crank case to try to get rid of my blowby problem. i have ran seafoam throught the engine, drove the truck for 170+miles, changed oil and filter, add more seafoam to the engine last night, drove the truck from sharon, pa to cleveland, oh. and back to sharon, pa. putting on 200 miles drained and changed oil and filter, drove the truck to wal-mart for some pop and still have blowby issues. and on top of that i now know i blew out another rear main seal... so what do you think my chances are of doing a in chassic rebuild using hypertec pistons, (they expand) so if my cylinders are tappered a few thousands they will cover for that, the truck is a 91 with the odometer showing 130k+ miles.. now i have no way of telling if this is oringal engine or not, or if it has been rebuilt and bored out,. with the rear main seal blown out i have had to add 2.5 quarts in 2 weeks, i cant see or afford adding that much oil every 2 weeks,. or if any one out there has a good 87-91 5.0 for sell cheap, or an extra 5.8 with computer i sure could use it.:drinkbud

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
What made you think Seafoam would fix a blowby problem? You aren't gonna rebuild the engine while it's still in the truck(not possible). Do not try to replace pistons without haveing the block bored to match a new set of oversize pistons. If you think you can just throw in some Hypereutectic pistons and they will fill the gaps and fix everything you aren't even close. If the engine even turned over after doing that, you'd probably end up worse off than you are now. Do it right, pull it out and rebuild it properly or get a reman or even a used engine.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
thats like trying to be cheap in all the wrong places:rofl:

Your engine is FUBAR, such is life why are you gonna spend the time replacing pistons in an installed engine when all you would have to do is remove 2 bolts on those rubber things called motor mounts and then a few for the tranny???? You arent gonna be able to install the rods in a Ford with the engine in the truck its impossible, unless you want to go with the invisible oil pan when its all said and done.

You know what you could do is get/rent a boroscope(couple hundred $$rental), go into an inspection hole and find out where the rods are lined up at then drill some 7/8" holes in the oil pan corrosponding to the rod bolts (may have to rotate the crank a few times) This will probably get the back 4 pistons done, now you have to drill holes in the TTB X member as well as the pan for the front ones, then get some JB weld and insert it into the 16 holes in your oil pan and let it cure. Am I making sense here???? when in doubt search, this has been covered before. I dont think the guy ever made it back to his computer to post the results ( he's stuck on side of road kicking tire and banging head on his hood)

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Buy pistons that swell up in order to
fill in the extra space of
a warn and tired engine, hmmmmm

blackbroncoxlt65, I believe you may want to consider another solution. Perhaps one that will cost a few dollars more but will be a more permenant solution.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
blackbroncoxlt65 said:
ok i have tried to clean out all the [email protected]#$ in my engine`s crank case to try to get rid of my blowby problem. i have ran seafoam throught the engine, drove the truck for 170+miles, changed oil and filter, add more seafoam to the engine last night, drove the truck from sharon, pa to cleveland, oh. and back to sharon, pa. putting on 200 miles drained and changed oil and filter, drove the truck to wal-mart for some pop and still have blowby issues. and on top of that i now know i blew out another rear main seal... so what do you think my chances are of doing a in chassic rebuild using hypertec pistons, (they expand) so if my cylinders are tappered a few thousands they will cover for that, the truck is a 91 with the odometer showing 130k+ miles.. now i have no way of telling if this is oringal engine or not, or if it has been rebuilt and bored out,. with the rear main seal blown out i have had to add 2.5 quarts in 2 weeks, i cant see or afford adding that much oil every 2 weeks,. or if any one out there has a good 87-91 5.0 for sell cheap, or an extra 5.8 with computer i sure could use it.:drinkbud
Seafoam probably did nothing but make the blowby worse & insured that your bearing surfaces are nice & shiny.

If the rear seal popped out due to blowby, then you don't have a blowby problem, you have a F%&$^ng hole in your piston.

Hyperuetectic alloy pistons are made by adding unusually high amounts of silicon to the aluminum. This process makes a piston that expands and contracts with temperature less than a standard cast aluminum piston. A hyperuetectic piston also expands at a more uniform rate. So if you want to fit a piston in a loose bore, hyperuetectics are NOT the way to go.

Put some magnesium pistons in that POS and drive it to the moon.

Or, find a 5.0 HO from a mustang and rebuild it in the peace of your garage. Install it in the Bronc when you finish. The 5.0 HO came with forged pistons, a roller cam, and decent heads. A typical rebuild usually needs no more than rings, bearings, and gaskets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts