Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the oil pan out.. After many many hours of hassling and struggling it's finally over. Ended up having to cut my exhaust pipe at the bottom of the crossover to drop it. This is what I saw between the oil pan and the transmission. It isn't the rear main seal, at least judging from what's in my Felpro kit and comparing sizes. Is this something I should be worried about? Needing to separate the engine from transmission to fix? Can I leave this alone?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am pretty sure that is the rear main seal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RMS that I got in the kit is a lot narrower than this though. The one that's disintegrating is a lot wider, at least by double.

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
The RMS that I got in the kit is a lot narrower than this though. The one that's disintegrating is a lot wider, at least by double.
I think you are looking at the block plate "seal". That's you rear main leakin'.
Gonna need to pull the trans to fix.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are looking at the block plate "seal". That's you rear main leakin'.
Gonna need to pull the trans to fix.
That makes sense, but look at the seal that came in the Felpro kit, versus what's falling apart on the truck. Easily twice as thick on the outside, plus however much of it we can't see..

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
That is the oil pan seal and it goes in that groove where you have it. That is different from the rear main seal.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes oil pan seal. Going to have to drop the pan to fix it. IDK if you can jack the motor up and get out and back in or not. Could be a major ordeal. Looks like it is going to have to be done though b/c it has come out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay then I'm thoroughly confused now.. The seal that is disintegrating where you can only see the bottom half is the rear main or isn't? It looks/feels like a cork gasket or something soft from how it's flaking off. I looked up the only other ones in the kit that could fit to be a rear main, and it's a hard plastic-ish type seal (definitely not the same material as what is falling apart). U shaped around the circle, with what looks to be a small spring running inside the length of it. If what is seen from the pics is the remainder of an old oil pan seal then the last owners really didn't help out much.. As a Felpro permadry was on there just now, plus I had to scrape residue of another black rubber gasket from the pan.

At least I have a few hours before I need to put the pan back in, as the pan was rusted around the inside quite a bit. So waiting on Pep Boys to have a replacement delivered around 1pm today..

If anybody could definitively tell me if the stuff falling off by the bearing cap bolts is the rear main, or residue from a previous oil pan seal (and should be thoroughly scraped off) I would appreciate it!

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
No, that's the block plate "seal".....more like a wick. I am sure. Positive. Not a doubt.

The oil may be leaking from the engines rear oil pan seal.....but more likely the rear main.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, that's the block plate "seal".....more like a wick. I am sure. Positive. Not a doubt.

The oil may be leaking from the engines rear oil pan seal.....but more likely the rear main.
Looked all around and couldn't find anything on a block plate seal. Only things that popped up were fuel pump block plates. The oil pan was definitely leaking, and was rusted in places. Just got home from getting a new pan and pump.

But still unsure if that half circle piece in the first picture of my first post is residue from a previous pan seal, or something else. Searched on every parts web site to find something that looks like it with no luck.

·
Super Moderator
26,951 Posts
Yo FrankyInNY,
I beieve the foam like seal is available with the "Engine Rear Plate" aka "PLATE - CYLINDER BLOCK REAR", F4TZ-7007-A
.. but not available seperately
Obsolete by FORD, but plate is available @;

Call both and ask for the foam replacement options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. I read somewhere else it might be part of the plate and I asked the customer service people from online sellers on the phone, but without having the part in front of them, they were not helpful.There is no answer today from Haven Ford. They are probably closed on the holiday. I will check on monday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts