Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a carb for my stock 460 going into my '78 bronco, what would be a good size. i heard 600cfm to 750cfm. am looking at more towards a 650 or 700. Also what brand would you all go with. I'm looking at either holley or edelbrock. Which is the best. Also where would be a good place to order this from?
thanks justin

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
what kind of driving? street or offroad? I'd go with a 750 personally (I'm running a 850cfm quadrajet on my 460, but thats a slightly different beast).

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
justinbigblockbronco said:
I will mostly be on road driving
thanks
justin
For onroad, either the Holley or the Edelbrock should do fine for you. I would get a 750 personally. The Edelbrocks are easier to tune, the Holleys are more fine tuneable. If you will only do mild offroading, the Edelbrock Performer with offroad needles and seats should perform well enough for you, but I couldn't stand mine for the wheeling I do. (offroad use only)

Also, I have an Edelbrock 750 electric choke with less than 1000 miles on it, pulled it from the Bronco about 3 weeks ago, that I'll be selling if you're interested in saving a few bucks on a practially brand new carb. Have the offroad needles and seats too. It has all the hookups for the Ford linkage and the kickdown rod as well, so basically is bolt on and go.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For my 429 upgrade I swapped my Holley Truck Avenger 670cfm off of my 400, and so far it seems to be doing just fine. I've debated whether I should upgrade to the 770cfm version, as I really feel there are some hidden horses waiting to be found in this big block, but I haven't solicited any real opinions yet...

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Bolt straight onto a 460? if so how much, also where do you live?
thanks a bunch
justin
ps. do you have a pic of it?
$200 + shipping, including the offroad needles and seats, and linkage for the 460. I'm in Southern IL, zip code 62258, but would probably ship from 62230 (work).

Its part # EDL-1411, new one from Jegs will run you $281.99 for just the carb, not including the accessories you will need. Here are the details. Here is a pic of the carb from Jegs (it looks just like it, but I will get a pic of the actual carb I have for you as well)

For 402 c.i.d. and larger Performer applications. Lean calibration for maximum fuel economy. Provides excellent fuel economy when used on 454 c.i.d. Chevrolet and 460 c.i.d. Ford Performer applications. Includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. Comes with the following jets, rods and springs: Metering Jets: Primary .110, Secondary .107; Metering Rods: .075 x .047. Step-Up Spring: orange (5'' Hg).

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Whats your addy and how much would shipping be on this
thanks alot
justin
mine is [email protected] if you want to get ahold of me
thanks
:drinkbud
If I were to guess, I'd say probably about $15 to ship UPS Ground. I'll PM my address info to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey i was reading and just been getting into 4 wheelin i have a 514 and it has a holley 750 double pumper i believe and it stalls sumtimes when i start slammin real hard. Just wonderin what carb and set up u guys would recommend.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I ran a 600 vacuum carb on a 460 which was a DD truck and I have to pass the good old e-check with it. The 750 would fail and since I had a bone stock motor and exhaust it actual ran really well. Plus the 600 vacuum carb can be bought for dirt cheap.

As for a stumble one can make several adjustments but I would have to ask what gears, tire size and what type of tranny and if an auto what kind of torque converto?

I only use a DP carb with a manual tranny and a vacuum carb with an auto unless the auto has a big staul (spelling?) to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts