Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install an external trans cooler this weekend (all i have is the one in the radiator) what size are you all running? I have a 91 302/ e4od. (yes i searched, no one says what size they have).

Edit:
I'm also installing a remote filter and trans temp guage getting that from summit (permacool 10677) and will change all the fluid of course. I'll probably change the internal filter as well since my pan gasket is seeping.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
85f150 said:
BTW while we are on stacked plates what is teh best way to flush them? The cooler that is
Um. my suggestion would be to remove it from the truck, drain it, fill it with some warm, clean fluid (boil a big pot of water, remove the water from the heat, and put a bottle or two of fluid in the water and let it sit until it warmsup) Ad some type of flushing or cleaning agent (that you would use for transmissions) . cap both holes and shake it around, then drain.

Thats my best guess at least. I know in old airplanes they had some super fancy equipement to flush the oil from the plate style oil coolers. i doubt you have any gunk just sitting in there.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so i ended up ordering this one. I think i may have clicked it by mistake (i saw 6x11...this was actual size not core size) core size is 4x11x1.5. I'm thinking this should still be adequate for trail riding and towing. especially if i add an electric fan in the future. I'll find out soon enough i suppose... now to decide on still letting it go through the radiator...

Sorry i should also say i checked B&M and its their highest rated cooler of this type at 14,400 BTUs. they only have 2 others that are bigger and they are racing models rated just over 20,000

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
likc gack said the biggest one you can find. mine is 8x11. and it works great in the floriduh heat.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
smileybry said:
ok so i ended up ordering this one. I think i may have clicked it by mistake (i saw 6x11...this was actual size not core size) core size is 4x11x1.5. I'm thinking this should still be adequate for trail riding and towing. especially if i add an electric fan in the future. I'll find out soon enough i suppose... now to decide on still letting it go through the radiator...

Sorry i should also say i checked B&M and its their highest rated cooler of this type at 14,400 BTUs. they only have 2 others that are bigger and they are racing models rated just over 20,000
The stock ford tranny cooler for my '95 E4OD with supercool/tow package is 11x8x1.75 roughly. About 2X's plus the one in the pic RVCam is running.

RVCam, if you swap to a bigger one, don't get rid of that little unit...you just swap it over to the driver side (holes should already be there), and plumb some rubber tranny hose over to your power steering and get rid of the crummy lines they run around the crossmember. works real slick.

Smileybry, when you say "add an electric fan" are you referring to a seperate fan just for the tranny cooler?

·
Registered
255 Posts
So will adding all that to the front of my bronc cause problems with keeping the engine cool?

I am thinking about going to electic fans, the clutch in my mecanical one is about gone. Because I am cheap, I think Ill just steal a couple from some junk cars my dad has in his back yard.:toothless

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
rvcam said:
So will adding all that to the front of my bronc cause problems with keeping the engine cool?

I am thinking about going to electic fans, the clutch in my mecanical one is about gone. Because I am cheap, I think Ill just steal a couple from some junk cars my dad has in his back yard.:toothless
Won't be an issue. Make sure you have a decent readiator to begin with (mine is a 4 core copper/brass), and make sure you keep it clean internally/externally. AC no-work, or maybe you never use it...remove it, along with the condesor up front that blocks air. Make sure you find the largest electric (or preferably 2) that you can as they won't flow the air as well as the stock fan (which is why I was asking for clarification of smileybry's intent above).

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I installed this one, which is rated at 18000 GVW:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M-7095-SR

I liked the price, and the fact it was a full kit.

I also added the external filter and temp gauge (though I haven't hooked up the gauge yet).

I don't tow anything, I'm just trying to make the E4OD last longer. If I do start towing (motorcycle trailer, most likely, maybe a small pop-up), I'll probably put an RV cooler on there (30,000 GVW) and use this one for PS.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
The fan will really only be usefull when playing at slow speeds liek in the woods, once above 25-30mph the fan would impede flow if it is on. If you check out online places that specialize in diesel performance they have very larger coolers. Anything though is better than nothing

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the fan would be just for low speeds while on the trail or in stop and go. the trans isnt over heating *yet* i'm just trying to take out a little insurance. i saw the one that sewiv installed, but opted for the thicker one THINKING i saw 6x11 (as i said, turned out to be entire size, not core size). I'll get this one, see how things are going on the temp guage, and if it looks like i need more cooling, i'll get another larger one. after the install this weekend i'll run it a little bit and post some results.

but perhaps i shouldn't have been so fast on the mouse when ordering (wanted to make sure i get them by friday)

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
smileybry said:
just got off the phone, and they're recommending that for a GVW of 24,000 or vehicles towing 3500-5000 lbs... i think i'm good but again we'll see
That's the one you want

and make sure it's the 1 1/2" thick unit

Even us Canajians have to run big coolers for the Summers up here. Great call on going to a remote filter, you won't regret it. You gonna drill and tap the frame to mount it ?

As far as cleaning out the stacked plate coolers I just put the pressure washer to them and let them drip dry or blow them out with the air compressor.

I've stopped buying the B&Ms new. Last Wednesday one of my Mopar buddies dragged me out to a junkyard and I scored a 1 1/2 thick unit exactly like my B&M cooler, off an Exploder, for $10.00 Canajian (American pocket change).

Sixlitre

p.s./
I'd be more worried about your internal rad cooling loop being clogged up than the aftermarket cooler. That's been the cause of many a trans failure on your year of Bronco.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sixlitre said:
I'd be more worried about your internal rad cooling loop being clogged up than the aftermarket cooler. That's been the cause of many a trans failure on your year of Bronco.

That's what ate one of my E4Od's
probley what ate the thermostat, water pump and radiator all at the same time. it clogged up and ruptured
didn't even notice it till the tranny fluid boiled everything inside of the transmission and cracked the casing also.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.