Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sensor measures .985", almost 1". One inch is a too big. Tried to buy an "O2 sensor" wrench, they all are the wrong size, won't fit. The Auto parts guy says it is 25mm (they don't have it) which is close. A deep socket won't fit because of the plastic connector. Where do the Ford Mechanics get the tool? I would rather not use vice grips.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It would depend on the sensor itself. I know Bosch is 7/8.

·
THE GHETTO VAQUERO
2,450 Posts
Sears has those sockets with part of the side missing specifically for O2 sensors.
Got the same thing in black, but couldn't find it when I changed o2 sensors, found it when I was done though. Your local autozone or checker auto should have them. If not try Sears like the guy above posted.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you are replacing the sensor, just cut the wires and use a box end wrench or deep socket to get the old one off, and put the new one in with the open end of the wrench. I'm pretty sure they are 7/8" as well. If you want to save the sensor then you need the socket with the slit shown above.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
I just took a look at the O2 sensor on our daughter's truck....and I can already tell that I'm gonna have to marinate that puppy in PB Blaster for at least 3 days before it's gonna wanna come out.............

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a helicopter mechanic, which means I have to carry tools around following helicopters... this tool can pretty much eliminate a whole set of wrenches. I dont go anywhere without it, and you will never have a bolt and no wrench to fit it.
http://chadstoolbox.com/86-Knipex-Plier-Wrench.aspx

but if you need the gripping power of a socket to remove a rusted part then these arent ideal, but just getting a grip on something these cant be beat.
just my two cents...
p.s. Im not promoting these things and dont work for that website just another ford guy that likes good tools.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
I just took a look at the O2 sensor on our daughter's truck....and I can already tell that I'm gonna have to marinate that puppy in PB Blaster for at least 3 days before it's gonna wanna come out.............
The O2 sensor and the bung are both stainless steel while it may look dirty and nasty the threads don't corrode and should come out pretty easy after you break it loose. Every sensor I have removed to date have been a 7/8" and I have used a box end wrench to remove and reinstall just slide the connector through the wrench.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm helping a friend with a 92 Explorer. It was actually an (.985") ECT, I got it off with a 1" open end. No room, you have to be a Wrench Monkey.

Thanks for all the input. I have (in the past) used vice grips and a big hammer, cuss a lot, drink another beer, don't do that anymore. One thing about Ford, some sizes are Metric, others SAE. Sometimes you can go nuts having to find the correct wrench. The (MikeMilo) wrench looks interesting, but sometimes it's tough to get a large tool (?) in a tight space!

·
OMG its almost a
1,368 Posts
On the 'Y' pipe near the starter. Get down under the bronco on the passenger side. Follow the exhaust pipe up toward the manifolds and where it splits will be a horizontal pipe connecting the two Y's of the 'Y' pipe. Its screwed into the top of that horizontal pipe.

:thumbup

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
I'm helping a friend with a 92 Explorer. It was actually an (.985") ECT, I got it off with a 1" open end. No room, you have to be a Wrench Monkey.

Thanks for all the input. I have (in the past) used vice grips and a big hammer, cuss a lot, drink another beer, don't do that anymore. One thing about Ford, some sizes are Metric, others SAE. Sometimes you can go nuts having to find the correct wrench. The (MikeMilo) wrench looks interesting, but sometimes it's tough to get a large tool (?) in a tight space!
I havent had the pleasure of one of those yet and hopefully wont. I have been known to be wrong from time to time. I do have fairly small hands and can get into alot of places. I am going to do some research on this one for tools about that size really though .985 and 1.000 are only .015" apart it should work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts