Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get some info on ripping DVD's to a harddrive. I would like software that does this conversion without losing much quality.

Also is it better to rip to DivX, Xvid, or MPEG4 format?

I am really confused. I dont mind paying for software if it does what I want it to do, so I am not necesarily looking for freeware.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
I use DVDShrink. It's free (I think). It's pretty straight forward. Just click and let the program do the rest.

·
0 Posts
shrink, or dvd decryptor.

I would not perform that function with vista. big bro is watching

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
DVD decryptor is the bomb. Just click to Rip. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of Nero Ultra. The recode feature is great. You just import the ripped video files and it will shrink it for you. You have the option to copy entire disk or just the main movie. If net flicks had any idea.

·
Registered
31 Posts
123 Copy DVD I got it at Staples it is around 20 or 30 dollars. Works really good it also has the capability to copy Blu-Ray dvds if you have a drive for Blu-ray discs.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
DVD shrink to get it on the hard drive and image burn to get it on the disc. they are both free

Check out www.afterdawn.com and you will find everything you need on there.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. Can you please elaborate a little though?

Do they give you an option to adjust ripping or compression quality?

Also what software do you use to watch the movie? Windows Media PLayer?

EDIT: Thanks Ken!

·
0 Posts
Im not entirely sure about wtf i am talking about here but the overall consensus is that the WMDRM is a copyright tool that can take over the hardware in the Vista machine and determine whether or not you can make an image or play that recorded media.

Blu-ray is tied into the Microsoft WMDRM in the EULA. There is some matrix shit between a blu-ray drive, vista and the licensing agreement when you click "i accept".

My brother in law was an engineer with ATI on the blu ray chipset in the xbox and was telling me how the wording in the EULA allows MS to inventory your recorded media and associate it with you. They can also enable or disable playback depending on rights assessments. They can also disable and remove unwanted software from vista at will. Which is all very big brother-ish.

Jer,

An example of an issue would be, you have a media library server in your living room and ripped some blu ray movies to it. And you also have a media library in your car, or in your private movie theater- You are not allowed to make more than one backup image of that movie without violating copyright laws and in theory the playback will fail and you will be held accountable for violating the law. And gigantic RIAA swat team will show up and ram a flaming watermellon in your ass.

Windows Media Digital Rights Management. Content owners use Windows Media digital rights management technology (WMDRM) to protect their intellectual property, including copyrights. This software and third party software use WMDRM to play and copy WMDRM-protected content. If the software fails to protect the content, content owners may
ask Microsoft to revoke the software’s ability to use WMDRM to play or copy protected content. Revocation does not affect other content. When you download licenses for protected content, you agree that Microsoft may include a revocation list with the licenses. Content owners may require you to upgrade WMDRM to access their content. Microsoft
software that includes WMDRM will ask for your consent prior to the upgrade. If you decline an upgrade, you will not be able to access content that requires the upgrade. You may switch off WMDRM features that access the Internet. When these features are off, you can still play content for which you have a valid license.

·
0 Posts
Oh, and basically the reason for the vista info is because it has been deemed illegal to copy your own movies,

FYI, the 321 studios was busted and Vista will report your ass for using it and molest your pets.

321 Studios is best known for its DVD-copying software that circumvents anti-copying features in DVDs and lets consumers make backup copies.

Recognising that circumvention of the copy protection was not likely to be welcomed by the film industry, 321 Studios took pre-emptive action in April 2002, filing a suit that asked the court to declare that its software did not infringe on the intellectual property rights of the film industry.

In December 2002, before the court could rule on the matter, the industry, in the form of the MPAA, sued.

The case forced the court to decide on the scope of the controversial 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which prohibits people from using or distributing devices that can bypass copyrights and copy prevention measures. The UK has similar provisions, which came into force late last year.

In court, 321 argued that the software merely allowed people to make fair use of their DVDs, making backup copies in case the original was destroyed or damaged. The MPAA countered with the argument that the software allowed people to use unauthorised versions of the encryption keys.

The San Francisco district court issued its ruling in February, stating that the software was in violation of the DMCA, and granting an injunction against 321. The software company appealed.

By June this year the company was the subject of three injunctions in connection with its DVD copying software, and was forbidden from selling or distributing its DVD Copy Plus and DVD-X COPY software.

In late July, Atari, Electronic Arts and Vivendi succeeded in obtaining another worldwide injunction against 321 – relating this time to the company's Games X Copy software. A few days later 321 announced that it had ceased trading.

According to reports the company has now agreed not to sell its software anywhere in the world and will make a financial settlement with the movie industry - the terms of which remain confidential.

Jack Valenti, the MPAA's president and CEO told the Associated Press, "Now that the company's illegal copying software is off of store shelves worldwide, we have moved to settle the case".

"This is not the end of the story in our massive fight against piracy," he added.

321's founder, Robert Moore, told the AP that the agreement had not yet been signed, but did not comment further.

Another tidbit,

Although this lawsuit happens to be aimed at Load 'N Go, the DMCA theory in the complaint makes it crystal clear that the MPAA believes it is just as illegal for you to do the same thing for yourself at home. Apparently, Hollywood believes that you should have to re-purchase all your DVD movies a second time if you want to watch them on your iPod.
However, the federal Digital Millennium Copyright Act bans providing information or tools to evade copy-control technology, including the Contents Scramble System that's used in DVD media. Companies that sell DVD-ripping programs and U.S. users of the software are breaking the law, according to copyright attorneys.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
These guys are all describing how to rip a DVD and burn it to another dvd. To rip a DVD to a file, as you were asking about in your other thread, you'll need to do something else.

Check out www.doom9.org and click the guides area. There's a DVD backup section where it compares the different Mpeg 4 codecs (Divx, Xvid, x264, etc are all Mpeg 4) and you can click on each one to get a guide on how to encode dvd's using them. The difference between Divx, Xvid, etc is more how you encode them. There might be minor differences in what the result looks like or how big the file is but for the most part you just pick whichever is easiest/available. If you are worried about it just try encoding the same section of a dvd (so you get a sample file rather than having to encode the entire thing) with each one and see which one you like best. I'd suggest Divx just because it is stupid simple and is pretty much the standard. Or if you want to be "bleeding edge" do x264, but as the site says it isn't without it's problems.

Edit: I'm guessing chickentaco is talking about HD-DVD, not Blu-Ray. HD-DVD = Toshiba/MS, Blu-Ray = Sony. I doubt Sony is using a Microsoft DRM. They always make everything proprietary (with the exception of the PS3 using bluetooth)... Either way Im pretty sure Godless stated in his previous thread that he isn't going to rip Blu-Ray movies, just normal DVD's. At least for now I guess.

·
0 Posts
no, hd dvd is dead.

Google the vista DRM and how it enables/disables the drives

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, just DVD. I will not do anything with Blue Ray or HD except keep them in their standard disc.

My main idea is to rip my DVD library to an HTPC (Like mentioned in another thread). I do not plan on having multiple file storage platforms.

That said I wouldnt mind having a back up copy on a DVDR to keep in my storage in case I have a harddrive failure or virus, etc. So I do welcome all recommendations on the subject. Thank you.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
So is the WMDRM a whole windows issue or just when you use media player?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
So is the WMDRM a whole windows issue or just when you use media player?
DRM has been an issue for years.

Windows Media DRM has been part of that. It wasn't as apparent in XP because it wasn't that big of an issue when XP first came out. Vista made "improvements" on it. I use the word "improvement" very lightly.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
NAh I think Chickens "flaming watermelon and molest your pets" was pretty accurate.:histerica
you're a sysadmin aren't you?

Just out of curiosity, and to throw this thread completely off track, has any major company that you know of made the switch to Vista yet?

In one little company that i do work for, they have about 10 employees. There is one guy there that loves Vista and hates XP, and he keeps pushing the owner to switch to Vista.

I told the owner that i can't name one major corporation or minor corporation that has made that switch, if this guy can up with one, i will eat my soldering iron.

I am not going to have to eat my soldering iron am i?

·
Registered
31 Posts
With 123 copy DVD you can choose to copy the entire disc (extras and all) or the movie only (just the feature presentation).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts