Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Died in the wool enthusiasts say: "run stock plugs, Motocraft or similar". 302/V-8.

There are new plugs now, Copper, Iridium, Platinum. Which is your way to go?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Had Bosch iridium as that's what my Toyota's have. Most likely overkill though they looked damn good before I gifted my bronco to a friend. I don't know if they provide any benefits for our engine's stock operating parameters besides longer life. They are not cheap for all eight.

·
Registered
669 Posts
BTW if you look at Platinum, Iridium and Unobtanium plugs the center core is almost always Copper, the only place they are special metal is on the tips, the ground electrodes are usually Nickel and some special metal or just Nickel. The same goes for Std Cheapo Copper plugs, the tips are not Copper but usually Nickel and the ground electrodes are usually Nickel. The Platinum, Iridium and Unobtanium (whatever the next new material is) just allows the Plug to last longer. Spark plugs haven't changed much over the last 100-ish years or so (whenever they were invented).
I run NGK V-Groove (Copper core), Nickle for the tip and Ground electrode, just my preference. I change them as needed. Use what you may. There is no Magical Plug!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,669 Posts
Yo Pete,
1989 Custom with the 302 and AOD, correct?
Sixlitre Tune-Up @ Sewiv's ignition upgrade and timing bump;
"Make sure you have VERY good plug wires though. Ford's racing wires are competatively priced and so are taylor spiropros, both of which I've used with good results.
Remember to get the cheapest Autolites or Motorcraft plugs you're money will buy, as anything better is wasted on smallblock Fords.
Stab the gap at .055, I've even used .060. Then bump the timing out to 13.5 degrees from the stock 10 (after you've checked where it was to begin with).
As far as the cap & rotor they're all good, as long as they're as good as new with no arc'ing on the inner terminals and no cracks in the plastic."

Or is you want to go by what Ford installed in your 89 see your Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) Decal on driver side B pillar, such as this one by jem270 in his 88;

□⊙□➡ Please fill out your
Signature »
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the upward pointing arrow and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.
TIA!
Al

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,633 Posts
Died in the wool enthusiasts say: "run stock plugs, Motocraft or similar". 302/V-8.

There are new plugs now, Copper, Iridium, Platinum. Which is your way to go?
Spark plugs?

Dude, where you been?!!

Carroll Shelby came out with an aftermarket titanium flux capacitor years ago.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Stock copper type work just fine.
Brand? Frankly, all have worked well for me over the eons... Champion, Bosch, NGK, Motorcraft, Autolite...

·
Addicted to Junk
10,817 Posts
In a OHV ford, Copper core, sometimes the single platinum. Always motorcraft.

In my 4.6 dohc I ran the E3 plugs, with hotter coils, and went from 20 mpg to 21-22 mpg.

NGK are all I run in my smaller engines. The v-groove is nice.

If you're looking for max performance, grind the ground strap back to the very tip of the electrode and put a radius on both. Plug life will suffer, but performance will be up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm using the motorcraft AGSP32C which are copper but used in most after market heads. I always used motorcraft coppers in my stock 5.0 f150.

·
Man of endless projects
8,870 Posts
Autolite or Motorcraft copper or platinum. the double plat and iridium will last longer but not any performance boost. sometimes tho its better to use coppers so you can see the condition of how the engine is running.

i always gap to 0.054-0.056. the ignition systems havent changed much over the eyars and the 5.0/5.8 use the same. the later 5.0 came with the bigger gap. people tend to think the bigger gap was only for the timing bump in the 6liter tuneup, when in reality its what came stock for many engines

most of the expensive plugs with special grounding straps are just gimmicks. however grinding strap will somewhat help unshroud the spark. the Autolite Racing plugs are already cut back for that reason. but you probably wont notice any difference. make sure to check the cap and rotor and plug wires

·
Eric
2,518 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts