Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has two 9" mini spools I was thinking of droping one in but need to know which splline I have or do I just have to pull an axle and see. I also thought of putting one the 44 also. Any input would be good on this subject. Thanks Dale:toothless

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
ive seen some 78/79s with 28 spline rears, i know they were supposed to have 31s, dont know if they were swapped, but i saw em. i would check, not that hard.

i wouldnt run a spool in the front.

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SquattyD said:
ive seen some 78/79s with 28 spline rears, i know they were supposed to have 31s, dont know if they were swapped, but i saw em. i would check, not that hard.

i wouldnt run a spool in the front.
Why would you not run a spool in the front.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
It gets hard on the axle, making it more prone to break axle shafts. Altho, I've heard of some guys only locking one side, when having to run 4wd in town... but I can't imagine you needing 4wd in town. I'd venture to say you'd be alright, so long as your trail riding isn't too hard. If it is, consider dumping more money into Warn's alloy axle shafts, and CTM joints

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
I've been running a full spool in the front and rear of my 79 for over a year and havne't broken an axle yet. I don't abuse my truck but I go (at least attempt) pretty much anywhere I want....it can be a bear to turn sometimes though.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
SmackMyB#tchUp AKA Ecrist said:
I've been running a full spool in the front and rear of my 79 for over a year and havne't broken an axle yet. I don't abuse my truck but I go (at least attempt) pretty much anywhere I want....it can be a bear to turn sometimes though.

you drive like a sissy. :goodfinge

I popped a few nine's, the detriot lived every time, never snapped a 31 spline rear shaft. but broke 2 or 3 complete sets of front shafts.

running with only 1 hub locked in definatly puts excessive stress on that shaft.

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
jopes said:
you drive like a sissy. :goodfinge

I popped a few nine's, the detriot lived every time, never snapped a 31 spline rear shaft. but broke 2 or 3 complete sets of front shafts.

running with only 1 hub locked in definatly puts excessive stress on that shaft.

LOL You ought to know...since you have the most experience driving like one!! :goodfinge

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
SmackMyB#tchUp AKA Ecrist said:
LOL You ought to know...since you have the most experience driving like one!! :goodfinge

thats right I put on my best sunday dress every time! :goodfinge

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but in many cases a spool is easier on an axle than a quick acting locker. i mean, if you're seriously wedged somewhere and you keep throwing torque at the wheels, sure a spool might be a litle rough. But you won't get that harsh unloading and loading of the axles when you're bouncing or shifting weight from one axle to another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts