Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a good air compressor to work on my trucks and tractor. I don't have a 220v power supply so I am looking for something that runs off of 120v? Any ideas?

What about a MIG welder, 120v? Any good ones out there?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm looking to buy a good air compressor to work on my trucks and tractor. I don't have a 220v power supply so I am looking for something that runs off of 120v? Any ideas?

What about a MIG welder, 120v? Any good ones out there?
Get a 220V outlet wired ( you can double up breakers to make room if needed per code) and buy an Ingersoll Rand built in the USA..be careful not all are, some of the cheaper 120v from Northern Tool are not USA made. If you just don't have the funds for that, try to find an old Cambell Hausfield built in the mid 80s by USAIR, I swear mine has been a workhorse and is still running without ANY repairs, I'd buy another in an instant if they still made them the same.

Mig>>>>get a 220 50amp there too like Millermatic 210, I think it's a 212 or comprable Hobart now:rockon

242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much does that usually cost? I've asked many questions about it to people and they said the wire is expensive. I plan to build a barn/workshop soon and install the 220v there but as of the moment right now I just need something to get me by until then

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
You really need 220volts if you want a good compressor. Also it must be oil lubricated, dry compressors are junk! I liked the Husky brand at Home Depot because you can find all the parts to repair it if needed in the future. Husky is made by Campbell Hausfeld. Don't buy something you can't service in the future.

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
If you're not going to put in 220V for now, try to find a compressor with a motor that can be wired either 110 or 220, that way you can get the torque benefit later on.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I had an oil less direct drive Ingersoll Rand that ran for 20 years. The tank finally got a pinhole leak from rust inside it, so I junked it. It was loud and less air than I needed at times, but it was a workhorse, and I worked it really hard. I replaced it with the Kobalt 30 gl compressor at Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3115861&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Kobalt%201.6%20HP%2030-Gallon%20155%20PSI%20Electric%20Air%20Compressor&CAWELAID=1024192182

It does a lot better than the old one, a lot quieter, and I can run it on 110 or 240 volts. I have to have 110v capability because of the times I have to pack it to mom's or somewhere for a project.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
I have an old CH small compressor and it runs flawlessly but it is loud and I have a Lincoln 1300HD which is a 135 amp 110v mig/wire welder and it is a good welder for what I need. The flux wire is a little expensive but just mig wire is not.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
oil less compressors are ok if you use them rarely. if your planning on using it alot then oiled is the only way to do.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
depending on how far you want to go with your 220, from the panel, would depend on the cost. Wire can be expensive, but its usually only really expensive in large quantities. you need 4 wires to do the 220. you could run 3 #8's and then a number 10 bare for the ground and that would be plenty to cover your 220. plus the plugs and little stuff. Over all it is pretty easy if you are patient with it, if I were to do the install for someone it'd be around 100-150 for my labor, and then materials

1 - 11 of 11 Posts