Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1994 ford bronco xlt with auto hubs. when i go to engage 4x4 high i hear a load clicking noise until i slow down to like 5 miles an hour then it will make a kluck. after that the 4x4 will engage and be fine untill i try to engage it again. i think i did something to my front driveshaft because i was under the truck one day and turn it a little by hand. now since then its be doing that crap please help

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
its ure auto lockers, u should be at a stop, before engaging 4x4. then go, and they will click and lock, and u should be fine.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have noticed a similar problem recently. When I first got the Bronco, it shifted flawlessly into 4wd at any speed. Last month I changed the front gear lube and had the axle rebuilt (seals, etc). Now, it only auto-locks at low speed or even a stop.

Friggin annoying, but I really don't want to give up on my auto-hubs just yet, as I do a lot of snow-asphalt-snow again driving.

If I did replace the auto-hubs, what would be the downsides (if any) to highway driving with the hubs always locked?

·
Registered
16 Posts
mcaldwell said:
If I did replace the auto-hubs, what would be the downsides (if any) to highway driving with the hubs always locked?

I think the only thing it does is put a little bit more wear on the front drive train because everything is in constant mesh, and it your gas mileage will go down a little bit because of the extra mass that will be truning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts