1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
641 Posts
ANYWAY, when my auto hubs went out I went to a Ford dealer asking about manual hubs, and they said that in order to put them in they would have to press out the bearings and all kinds of shit and it would be expensive. THe auoto hubs they had were $400 for the set. I laughed. Then I went to the local off-road store and they gave me a set of manuals for $80 and said it should take me less than an hour to put the pair in. He was right.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
You people lied to me! No aftermarket auto hubs my ASS
Actually Warn use to make auto hubs for our Bronco's.

They also use to make a manual hub that had three settings on the dial "Free--Auto--Lock"

·
Registered
9,790 Posts

They also use to make a manual hub that had three settings on the dial "Free--Auto--Lock"
that sounds like something id like. put it in auto before you leave the house and you never have to get out of the car. i always find myself swithcing between 4hi and 2 high since i can actually turn decently in 2hi.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Woah. Magic.

Was this in this section or Anything Else? I wanna say Anything Else...

Anyway, why would you ever want Auto Hubs? Actually, I can answer that, you're also one that prefers power windows over manual windows right? :/

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
that sounds like something id like. put it in auto before you leave the house and you never have to get out of the car.
Or you could just lock the hubs before you left the house :shrug

The three position hub had the same problem as the auto hubs, failure prone design, clunky engagement, and complexity.

Warn did not sell many of either the Auto hubs or the three position hubs. Heck, I have not even been able to find a pic of the 3 position hubs, but I know they existed.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts

The three position hub had the same problem as the auto hubs, failure prone design, clunky engagement, and complexity.

Warn did not sell many of either the Auto hubs or the three position hubs. Heck, I have not even been able to find a pic of the 3 position hubs, but I know they existed.
Why? Both with Auto or Manual, if you lock hubs just to drive on pavement to your favorite spot, that's unnecessary wear on the hubs and is advised against in the manual right?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Why? Both with Auto or Manual, if you lock hubs just to drive on pavement to your favorite spot, that's unnecessary wear on the hubs and is advised against in the manual right?
No, the hubs don't wear like that.

I mean yes the front U-joints, diff and drive shaft are turning, but that's all there doing. Most guys up north drive all winter long without ever unlocking there hubs. I drove for over a month once with mine locked doing mostly highway driving. The full time 4x4 trucks had drive flanges, and most new vehicles don't even have unlockable hubs.

Locking them and then driving 5, 10, or even 50 miles is nothing to worry about as far as wear.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
The hubs on my superduty are vacuum activated. I actually like them..

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Woah. Magic.

Was this in this section or Anything Else? I wanna say Anything Else...

Anyway, why would you ever want Auto Hubs? Actually, I can answer that, you're also one that prefers power windows over manual windows right? :/
**** yeah i prefer power windows. i drive with the windows down all the time andn lock the car at night, things would take 3X longer with manual windows. also if one fails i can have the door panel off and be fixing the prolem in half an hour.

thats what i do now. i have an idea for a hub that can be locked remotely, the most complex part of it is a solenoid. its basically a manual hub cap (to replace manual hubs) with a motor that can engage or disengage it. itll have a dial so you can lock it or unlock it manaully. when locked it acts just like a manual hub.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

the 05+ super duty's have that free-auto-lock stuff... I wish I could get something like that....

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
the 05+ super duty's have that free-auto-lock stuff... I wish I could get something like that....
I thought they only had two settings, auto and lock.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I thought they only had two settings, auto and lock.
:stupid

I have only seen one 1 truck(friend's 2008 F250) with these being used in 4wd, but is there some kind of secret to get them to engage everytime in the auto postion? It seems that this pair does not always engage unless you are moving and engage 4wd. They will not always engage if you get stuck in 2wd and try to drive out in 4wd, but once you lock them you can go. I was thinking one of the vacuum lines or that little motor is bad, but the problem is so sporadic. Oh well, just throwing it out there. Maybe Jopes knows the trick?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts