Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I've got a 4ft fiberglass antenna (with almost perfect SWR's) mounted to the tire carrier near the taillight. I've got a midland 40channel CB, with an 18 ft coax. I've directed the power directly to the battery, and have a good ground on both the CB and the antenna. I may try to ground the CB to the battery and see what that does for me, but I don't think it'd make much of a difference.

What have I done wrong? I spent over $100 for this thing and 1/2 a mile is all I get? :banghead

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Have whoever your talking to drive farther then 1/2 mile away. Maybe if they get a mile away you can get a mile range then. lol No help just bored tonight.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
do you have a meter on it. I have a 30 dollar cb with dual 48 inch whips and i can get about 20 haven't tried for more yet.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
You using your RF gain and your squelch right?

I probably have the same set up as you (Cobra CB, 4 foot Fiberglass whip, and 18 coax.) and i get 6-7 miles with an untuned antenna. Make sure your antenna sticks out above your truck

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I was told the canopy can interfere with your reseption, but you should be doing better than that.
Also, did you get your antenna tuned to your cb?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Walt, by tuned do you mean SWR metered? If so, yes, and they said they barely had to do anything to it, it was pretty good right were it was. If not, then please explain.

Bearfoot, I do not want a 108" whip, that's why I got a fiberglass antenna. Not that I don't like them or anything, I'd just rather have the FG antenna, I think they look better, and I'm not that hardcore into it, if I got even 2 or 3 miles that'd be acceptable. Also, atmospheric conditions are a factor, but I've had this thing in for, what, 3 weeks? A month? I've never caught good reception.

Broncoorboat, you leave your SWR meter on it all the time? Never heard of that.

Bronco Rob, I don't know if I am or not. Is there some certain way to do it other than turn some knobs so you hear people and not your engine?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Ahhhhh....someone didn't read thier manual.

Your squelch and RF gain both provide distance. IRCC, you turn the RF gain counterclockwise til it stops, turn your squelch clockwise til it stops, then bring it back up slowly until the static stops, and you want to just BARELY have it so the static stops, you then bring your RF gain clockwise until it starts to static again, and then turn it back just BARELY so the static stops.

I THINK that's it, but, like you, i am not hardcore. I know they need to be adjusted, read your manual on how to do it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ever think abouit geting it Peaked and Tweaked? almost any cb shop can do that for you and it helps alot.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
Broncoorboat, you leave your SWR meter on it all the time? Never heard of that.

Bronco Rob, I don't know if I am or not. Is there some certain way to do it other than turn some knobs so you hear people and not your engine?
no but my buddies do

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bronco Rob said:
Ahhhhh....someone didn't read thier manual.

Your squelch and RF gain both provide distance. IRCC, you turn the RF gain counterclockwise til it stops, turn your squelch clockwise til it stops, then bring it back up slowly until the static stops, and you want to just BARELY have it so the static stops, you then bring your RF gain clockwise until it starts to static again, and then turn it back just BARELY so the static stops.

I THINK that's it, but, like you, i am not hardcore. I know they need to be adjusted, read your manual on how to do it.
I read that, but it literally says "Turn your RF dial until you hear no static. Turn your Squelch dial until you hear no static." and that's IT. It doesn't tell me which way, which order, etc. :banghead

MUDDOG7375 said:
Go to the link below...If you cant find an answer there your SOL....Im thinking you have a short in you coax...And yes NEW coax can have a short....

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Testing_Continuity.htm
A short? Never heard of coax's shorting out. :scratchhe

Nathaniel said:
Ever think abouit geting it Peaked and Tweaked? almost any cb shop can do that for you and it helps alot.
I thought that was getting it's SWR's in order? I guess I was wrong?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
i would check to see how many watts your radio is actually putting out. Might have just gotten a bad unit.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
magnumpi said:
i would check to see how many watts your radio is actually putting out. Might have just gotten a bad unit.
How do I do that?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
How do I do that?
You need a watt meter. If im not mistake some swr meters have them built in. I've never really used an swr meter thou, all I use at work is a watt meter on the radios we put in (low ban, VHF, and UHF, we rarely put CB stuff). It tells me how much power the radio is puttin out and how much it is reflecting back into the radio (which sould be as close to 0 as possible). Just an idea...someone else can prob. elaborate more.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This stuff is confusing to me. Would someone drive down to Texas and work with my CB? I'll make you a sandwich :toothless

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
This stuff is confusing to me. Would someone drive down to Texas and work with my CB? I'll make you a sandwich :toothless
I would think any decent CB shop should be able to test the CB for ya for next to nothing to verify its puttin out good wattage.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
magnumpi said:
I would think any decent CB shop should be able to test the CB for ya for next to nothing to verify its puttin out good wattage.
I'm going to find a good one and just tell them what I've told you guys and see what they can do. I may buy more coax (just for shits and giggles), if that doesn't make it better I guess I'll have to send my CB back for another one. I'll see. :duh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts