Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before I get flamed yes I searched and "the word inner is to common and left out of your search" :goodfinge

I found one guy who said he removed the stock front inner fender and was building another one out of sheetmetal. so can anyone else help. what did you do to reatach it after hacking the outer fender? pics would help if you have them.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
When I removed mine for sheet metal repair:

I used zip-ties instead of screws to re-atach them to the fender:

Not the pictures you wanted, but they be pictures :D
I driled out the original hole to 1/4" then added another so I can go around it.
Removal is now easier, better on my rusty truck, and quicker to aline they plastic things.

·
Banned
19,922 Posts
Why would you want sheet metal wheelwells? They'd rust away almost instantly from getting sandblasted by road grime coming off your tires, and you'd hear EVERY pebble. What's wrong with your originals? Why not replace them with stock parts? It's pretty easy - just a bunch of 5/32" headed screws and 5 5/16" ones per side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing is wrong with my stock ones, I am going to do some rust repair with a sawzall and need to figure out what to attach the inner fender to once the outer fender is cut higher than the stock mounting holes. I will look today and might not cut up as high in the front so I still have the stock bolt holes.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I did the same thing you're talking about approx. 3 years ago. I left an extra inch of material on each the fender bracing and outer fender to create a new 'lip' for the inner fender to attach to. It took some time with a body hammer to make it look good, but the end result was well worth it. On the rear I welded the fender bracing to the outer with several small tack welds to retain fender rigidity.

BTW--If you're interested, I can e-mail you some pictures.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
The rears went in the trash.

The fronts have been hacked to hell (tin snips work great). Here's a sample:

Note this makes spark plug service 110% easier

Driver's front:

I'd sure like to find a way to relocate the parking brake cable

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts

And why would I want sheet metal wheelwells??

Why not?
cuz they are stronger
so I can bolt ammo cans to them for storage
so I can make them bigger then original, to match the 4" I cut off the fenders.
I can weld
I like to weld
Welding inner fenders in to your outer fenders makes your fenders stronger
Cuz I like them?
Cuz I wanted to
Cuz im :wacko and definatly a little of this too :toothless

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
81Bronk36, that looks awsome. yak, i'm probably gonna do something like the way you have yours. i don't know how to weld, oh well, maybe i can get a guy from work to teach me a little. i plan on hacking my fenders in the spring and getting body work and a paint job done. i found a kick ass blue metallic color, but i think i might just get it repainted black to make it easier to fix any scratches that will occur off-road with some rattle cans. both of my rear fenders are starting to rust, and it'll be easier to hack them and do what i can to make them match the body lines of the bronco than get them fixed.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
both of my rear fenders are starting to rust, it'll be easier to hack them and do what i can to make them match the body lines of the bronco than get them fixed.
Mine was rusting also, front and rear. I figured it would be easier to do what i did than repair the rust. The extra tire clearance doesn't hurt either.

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
that's the plan. i want to step up to 33's after it's done, i'm hopefully gonna be getting some 15x10 rims to mount the 33's on

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

this is what mine look like right now :shrug ......... I am thinking about going the 81bronc36 way once I get my welder delivered :thumbup .. I found a place to buy plastic military ammo cans too :p

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
85bigbronco--
Thanks for the compliment.

In my application, extra wheel coverage wasn't necessary. Also, from time to time, I run some pretty tight trails and I didn't want to deal with the concern of destroying fender flares due to the extra width.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
tripleh87 said:
that's the plan. i want to step up to 33's after it's done, i'm hopefully gonna be getting some 15x10 rims to mount the 33's on

Dude to tell ya the truth 33's almost look small in the wheelwells once you cut them. Im running 36s with no lift, I dont do much flexing though.

My wheel wells are a 14x48" peice of 20 gauge, and the 10" I cut off of the 2'x4' peice make up the sides, I still need to think of a way to cover around the proportioning valve. I was thinking a peice of floor mat or a mud flap. Im doing the dash swap to make room for the pass side inner fender!!

Damager, Ive never seen plastic ammo cans.... I know of fiberglass ones, but they are the size of the bed of our Broncos almost and they hold 2 JDAM tail kits in each, not actual ammunition.

for extra fender coverage, if there is even a tree in your state (ND has like 4 of them) then I would strongly suggest flexable rubber fender flares cuz they are cheaper and dont crack and break off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts