Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I let a friend drive my Bronco to work on a day when we had some snow and ice around here...I had my new AWD Escape to drive so I figured what the hell. Plus, I wanted to see if the AWD actually worked worth a shit or if it was just some wound up rubber bands in the driveline.
Of course southern Oklahomans are not particularly adept at driving in such conditions and into the ditch and on its side it went :doh0715: . Both driver side tires blew off the rims, the rear view mirror on the driver door was ripped off, area just behind the driver door is smacked in pretty good, paint is scratched, taillight is cracked, and down around the rear bumper it got smashed into the body. I figured the truck was going to be totaled, the body shop said it would be because they estimated its worth at $4000. Not. The adjuster said the Bronco is worth about $6500 because it is a '95 with low miles, very good condition, and a loaded Eddie Bauer model. He added that good condition Broncos hold their value very well because of the fact they are not made anymore. The damages were about $3000. Unfortunately I had recently raised my deductable to $1000, ugh. So that leaves me with the following dilemma...I have two choices: I can have them do the full repair and the body shop can "eat up" about half of the deductable...or I can have them get it back to street legal, leave all the carnage, take it home and walk away with about $1500 left over from the insurance check.
If I have them do the full repair that leaves me with having to cough up $500 that I kinda don't have right now with the divorce and all. I mean I CAN swing it if I really want to, but it is not money I need to be spending at this point. On the other hand, I was always really proud of how good looking a truck it is (shit!...was). Seeing it sit out in the driveway all wounded would suck...but I sure could use the $$$ to pay off some bills.
I will tell you this...I have been driving my little Ford Escape for a month now and damnit I miss the Bronco. Yeah yeah...the Escape gets great gas milage and it is more practical with 4 doors and all, it rides a lot smoother...but I love my Bronco...it is a friggin' truck...Ford can call the Escape an SUV all it wants, but it is a car and I am NOT a car person. Unfortunately, because the Escape is so far upside down in terms of value versus what I owe...I'm going to be paying for that car for quite a while.

What would you fellow FSB lovers do in this case??? :shrug

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Swing the 500 bux and get it fixed the right way, It may hurt a little now, but not fixing it the right way will hurt A LOT later.

EDIT: To put it in perspective, you ever see those people driving around in bashed up cars looking like idiots, that'll be you if you don't get it fixed right. You would've had to pay your other bills either way, you'll get to those, fix your truck

Yeller

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Make your friend pay the full deductible

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Yeah I would get it fixed right...and make your friend pay for half if not all of the deductable...I would offer to pay it if I did damage to my friends truck...and an Escape is a wanna be minivan...thats what it seems like when you ride in one...

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you don't get it fixed now.... you probably never will. And like the others said, do you really wanna look like a dumbass crusing around in a wrecked up truck?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Get it fixed. Its def. worth it

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
derrick36 said:
I'm goin' with Inkdawg(and others).

Get it fixed, but I think he should pay at least half of the deductable.
I agree with derrick

Approach him about paying half the deductable, it shows him you're meeting him halfway. If he's any kind of a friend he should offer to pay the whole deductable, I would (but then again being used to snow it wouldn't have happened to me).

Sixlitre

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting...I figured the general consensus would be leave the damage and take the money...afterall "Chicks dig carnage"...I know I've seen that in somebody's sig line around here.

I can't really ask for reimbursement on the deductable because...well...I offered :doh0715: :banghead
me today -->:twak <--a month ago me

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Yeah, If i wrecked my buddies ride he wouldnt' have to ask, I'd be paying the deductible. Regardless of whether he offered to let me drive it.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,577 Posts
He had it last....his dime.

Friend or not..
Think of it like this...if you don't ask him to pay atleast half, you are setting it up for the next time he F*cks up something of yours. He needs to take responsibility. you loaned the rig in good shape and expected it back in same, if not better.

You probably ought to have it fixed. you took pride in its condition prior to the mishap...so I doubt you would change easily and would regret quickly

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
What's this half BS. He was driving your vehicle, period. Therefore he is responsible for the damage. I would have the full amount of the deductible to you ASAP. Even if you decided to pocket the grand...your choice. What about your rates, they will go up as well. Are you gonna absorb that insurance hike because he didn't know how to drive?

And yeah, why doesn't it go on your friends insurance? To me it's a no brainer.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,484 Posts
damn! Tronco? BroncBuggy? MudSlinger? :shrug

1 - 20 of 26 Posts