Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 5.0 E4OD metallic root beer work in progress
300 Posts
Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard sells a precut 11”x12” patch to go over top of the fuel pump access. It’s about $70, and is contoured to the floor lines. Definitely don’t seal it permanently, as fuel pumps always fail in a full tank LoL
Rectangle Wood Composite material Font Gas

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,456 Posts
The hole had only duct tape covering it, no panel. Thanks for the response. When I did pull the tape off as in the pic it was secured very well. It took some pulling to get it off.
It's your truck, do what you want. But most guys I know who work on their own stuff would only consider something like that as temporary fix to get it home so they could do it right.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Many of us have cut a hole there for fuel pump access. It makes it so you have access without dropping the tank. Handy on the trail, but convenient at home too. It looks like someone did the hard part already.

As for what to patch it with, I cut a section of floor from a junkyard Bronco. I took that piece over to an f-150 & checked the contour. It was a perfect match, so a piece from a pickup bed would work too.

As for sealing, I like the product that my dad always called "dumdum". It's a putty that comes on a roll or in strips that never dries. So if you have to open it on the trail, it lets go for access, then can be reused to seal it up again.
This Eastwood product looks like the stuff.

This thread has become a gathering place for fuel pump access info. Some good & some bad. Read it all before deciding on how you'll finish up.
I'm not in the butyl camp. The stuff I use is more like a rope putty, fills gaps, stays soft so you can pull it apart later, & will still work to put it back together. My 1st roll was white & lasted over 30 years. When I couldn't find it I bought some of the strips, which seemed to work the same. I've used it for filling holes in firewalls & other places where you want to keep moisture & fumes out, but don't want a permanent closure. The stuff works good & I see no reason to try anything else.
There seems to be some confusion as to whether the Eastwood product is butyl or not. Many comparable products like 3m strip calk [caulk] are.
Eastwoods may or may not be butyl.
The Eastwood rope is not extremely tacky when handling it.
But, when I used it to seal the non A/C heater box to the firewall but then 6 months later decided to swap the heater box over to an A/C box, this Eastwood rope had a VERY aggressive hold on the box. It took a lot of persuasion to get the assembly loose.
It also cleaned up rather easily.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts