Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my transmission. What other things should I clean/ replace so I can maximize the life of my new transmission?

·
22,799 Posts
Yo Cody,
Please fill out your Bronco Info with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses. Click User CP Edit Your Details.

Good time to inspect & replace, if necessary Rear Main Seal, & transmission mount.
Before installing transmission, check wiring harness for damage. Check connector for electrical integrity (terminal condition, corrosion, contamination and seal integrity). Repair or replace as required.

Check condition of transmission fluid filler tube O-ring, replace if damaged. Install fluid filler tube.

Fluid Level Low, Low Transmission Fluid Level And Or Shift And Or Engagement Concerns TSB 97-12-13 for 87-96 Bronco & many others; "...transmission may have low fluid level and/or may have either a shift concern and/or an engagement concern. This may be caused by transmission fluid leaking from the transmission into the transfer case through the transfer case input seal. Replace the transfer case input seal..." read more
Source: by Ford

"...Be sure to flush and backflush the transmission cooler lines thoroughly before re-installing the rebuilt tranny. You can get a can of trans line flush spray can from NAPA - they didn't sell it at Autozone, Pepboys or O'Reilly's here in Dallas, though. Some places even advise you to replace the radiator with a new one in case the in-radiator cooler lines got clogged up with burned-up gunky fluid. I decided to bypass mine altogether and tie the trans cooler lines into a trans cooler. The cooler I have, though, is too small to act as a stand-alone in my opinion, so I'm going to go with a much bigger tube and fin cooler with an electric fan.
One last thing. Ford TSB requires you install an exterior, in-line filter, which the dealer sells for about $65-$75. It recommends that it be installed after the trans cooler and right before returning to the tranny, presumably to catch any little pieces of gunk that might have gotten dislodged out of the stock in-radiator cooler. Since I bypassed the in-radiator cooler, I put mine right before the trans cooler so as not to gunk it up." by equin

GL!

·
Ford Hoarder
6,153 Posts
Punisher for sure, also I like to add an extra cooler and an external filter, and also either swap to a pan with a drain plug or add one to current one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
When my E4 went out I bought a 92 f-150 with a blown 302 for 800- and swapped everything over to a 5 speed. Shifts perfect now for less and more fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts