Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what 31" tire was actually installed on the Bronco as the Factory option? I have the 235's on now as that's what came on there originally and nothing has been changed over the years. Also, what exactly was the actual 31" size that came on the 15" rims?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you happen to know what brand they were?

·
Registered
193 Posts
well my spare is a 235 versa-trac from general tires, its not a true 31" tire tho so I don't think it is original. The ones on the rim now are BFGoodrich All terrains 15x10.5 LT's. Are you trying to go back and make it all original?

·
Super Moderator
25,760 Posts
yo

My CC conn stinks so I have to do a fast reply John;
P235/75R15XL BSW (blk sidewalls) all season radials were std, mostly Firestone

P265/75R15XL BSW all terrain were optional

Window Sticker in a 92
Source: by amtarsha (Sotally Tober) at SuperMotors.net

http://www.fordf150.net/photos/data/532/1nite_bronco_5.jpg

by Ford via Barry F via fordf150.net

========
MAY 22, 2001 | Recall ID# 20219 Hide Details

Recall Reason TIRES:TREAD/BELT
Recall Date MAY 22, 2001
Model Affected BRONCO
Potential Units Affected 13000000

Recall Summary
THIS IS NOT A SAFETY RECALL IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SAFETY ACT. HOWEVER, IT IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN BY THE AGENCY. EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION: FORD IS REPLACING ALL FIRESTONE WILDERNESS AT 15, 16, AND 17 INCH TIRES MOUNTED ON FORD TRUCKS AND SUVS. FORD REPORTS TREAD SEPARATION CAN OCCUR DUE TO A COMBINATION OF THE SENSITIVITY OF THE TIRE DESIGN TO STRESS, AGING, AND MANUFACTURING DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PLANTS. FORD IS REPLACING THESE TIRES TO PREVENT POSSIBLE PREMATURE TIRE FAILURE. VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: THE VEHICLES LISTED BELOW MAY HAVE BEEN ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED WITH FIRESTONE WILDERNESS AT TIRES OR MAY HAVE HAD WILDERNESS AT TIRES INSTALLED DURING THE FIRESTONE RECALL LAUNCHED IN AUGUST 2000. CERTAIN 1991 THROUGHT 2002 FORD EXPLORER CERTAIN 2001 THROUGHT 2002 EXPLORER SPORT, AND SPORT TRAC CERTAIN 1997 THROUGH 2002 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER CERTAIN 1991 THROUGH 2001 RANGER CERTAIN 1999 THROUGH 2001 EXPEDITION CERTAIN 1991 THROUGH 1994, AND 1997 MODEL YEAR F-SERIES CERTAIN 1991 THROUGH 1994 BRONCO NOTE: BOTH ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND REPLACEMENT TIRES ARE AFFECTED.

Consequence
SHOULD THE TREAD SEPARATE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, A VEHICLE CRASH COULD OCCUR, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy
THE REPLACEMENT/REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM FOR THIS CAMPAIGN EXPIRED ON MARCH 31, 2002. HOWEVER, CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT FORD AT 1-877-917-3673 OR GO ON-LINE TO WWW.FORD.COM FOR POSSIBLE ASSISTANCE.

Notes
FORD MOTOR COMPANY 01B77
=
See some info on the 92 and other years in the Red Book
FORD PICKUP TRUCK RED BOOK, 1946-93 Model Year Including Bronco, Ranger, etc. Overview w/Changes, Some Years w/Pics; includes MODEL & GVW codes, Body, Engine, Transmission & Rear Axle Codes, Exterior Body & Interior Trim Color Codes, MSRP, Optional Equipment & Prices; Appendix A contains Overviews & Examples of; Warranty & Rating Plates, Build Date Stamp, Casting Dates & Manufacturing dates, Sheet Metal Date Codes, District Codes (DSOs), Assembly Plant Codes & Production Date Codes. Also includes Production Figures from 46-79 for Bronco, F Series & other Ford trucks; 78 Bronco was 70,546; 79 Bronco was 75,761
Source: by Peter C. Sessler via customautobrakes.com

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude, I have to say it. You Rock. Thanks for the info. I guess from what the recalls were addressing was the Exploder tire cases.

·
Super Moderator
25,760 Posts
thanks John!

I got that recall too; But by then Ford switched to GY Wrangler ATS.
also included was a sticker for tire presure
FSA 96S49 Rear Tire Pressure

96S49 Compliance Recall on Certain 1996 and 1997 Model Year Light and Medium Trucks Supplementary Tire Information Label
Note that this is a safety recall, and any included vehicle will be repaired free, no matter how old it is, how long the owner waits to present it for repair, or how many times it has been sold.

Ford Motor Company has decided that certain 1996 and 1997 model year light and medium trucks fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 120., "Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles other than Passenger Cars". Note that while the rear tire pressure designated on the Certification Label is incorrect, your vehicle was produced with the rear tires inflated to the correct pressure.

Non-Compliance
The Safety Compliance Certification Label on affected vehicles have incorrect rear tire inflation pressures designations. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 120 requires that a label affixed to the vehicle show the tire size designation and the recommended inflation pressure for those tires, such that the tires on each axle are appropriate for the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) indicated on the label.

Supplementary Label
Please affix the enclosed supplemental tire information label adjacent to the Safety Certification Label found on the frame of the driver's door opening. The label is visible when you open the door. Before applying the label, wipe the area with a dry cloth. Check that the tire air pressure of all tires on your vehicle are set to the pressures shown on the supplemental Safety Certification Label.

Call Your Dealer
If you prefer that your dealer affix the label, call and ask for a service date for Safety Recall 96S49. Please bring the attached label with you to your service appointment. The time needed for this service is less than one half hour. However, due to service scheduling times, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period. If you misplace this letter, your dealer will still do the work, free of charge. If the dealer doesn't make the repair promptly and without charge, you may contact the Ford Customer Assistance Center, 300 Renaissance Center, P. O. Box 43360, Detroit, Michigan 48243. You also may send a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, S. W., Washington, D. C. 20590 or call the toll free Auto Safety Hotline 1-800-424-9393 (Washington, D. C. area residents may call 366-0123).

Labor
Install Supplementary Tire Information Label 0.2 Hrs.

Parts Requirements
Supplemental tire information labels and installation instructions will be mailed to the vehicle owner for installation, or the owner at his/her option may have the dealership personnel install the label. Labels and instructions for vehicles not reported sold will be included in the Ford Dealership Consolidated Communicator (FDCC) package. If the customer no longer has the labels, call Renkim Corp. (1-800-325-5621).When calling this number, be prepared to give the recall number 96S49 and the kit code shown at the top of the owner letter.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SO I wonder if they were still using the firestones in 92?

·
Super Moderator
25,760 Posts
SO I wonder if they were still using the firestones in 92?
yep; see that Bronco Nite ad pic Link I posted above; it wouldn't appear here so this is the URL again; Right or Left Front Courtesy Lamp Switch
If you spend time squiting off and on for 4 to 8 hours, you'll see the Firestone TM on the tire on the right at top of page.

On a 92 F Series Brochure I saw General Grabber AP and GY's
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/92ftruck/92ftruck.html
by Ford via Hans Tore Tangerud @ lov2xlr8.no

1 - 13 of 13 Posts