Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you can flame me all you wnat i searched and couldnt find anything also i dont need to be told that i need lower gears because i have 4.10s in the garage

i recently but a 4" lift and 36" tires on my truck with stock gears and surprisingly it runs quite nice probly cuz of the 351 is big enough but what i have noticed is that my rpms are alot higher than usual. is that because of my torque converter is going bad or what? is running stock gears going to kill my transmission? also will i get worse mpg with 3.55s or 4.10 considering that it is a DD thanks in advance for the advise!

kyle

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
If I were running 36s I would consider 4.88s.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
You need lower gears.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,874 Posts
what tranny do you have? if its a C6 4.56's would work nicely and 4.10's be better on the hwy.

running that size tire and stock gears will end your tranny fast. if the rpms are hi and your not moving much it might already be to late.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry i have an e4od yah i have 4.10s mainly for highway use when i off road it is only mud boggin no rock climbing how long will the tranny last with stock gears? im not trying to push it im just trying to see how much time i have ive only driven it with the 36s for like 25 miles

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
sorry i have an e4od yah i have 4.10s mainly for highway use when i off road it is only mud boggin no rock climbing how long will the tranny last with stock gears? im not trying to push it im just trying to see how much time i have ive only driven it with the 36s for like 25 miles
The transmission won't last long, don't beat on it. Especially if you don't have a HUGE aftermarket cooler on it.

Get 4.88's for an E4OD and 36's. 4.10's are a little too high for the high overdrive and big tires. 4.88's will work perfectly with 36's.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
why not Flush the fluid, put a good cooler on it, refill, and try not to use OD, see what that does, if anything it will be a good gap against damage before you can get gears if you have to.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If a transmission is already going south, flushing the fluid puts it out the door faster usually since the fluid is detergant, it eats it up. Had a trans am with bad tranny and couldnt find a single person in the area who would change the fluid.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay for the time being i will turn the overdrive off and drive it minimal until i can get a good game plan thanks alot guys appreciate it!

kyle

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Hope its a good game plan, That trans is right around 2k dollars to get rebuilt and it takes someone who knows what they are doing to rebuild it and make it right again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope its a good game plan, That trans is right around 2k dollars to get rebuilt and it takes someone who knows what they are doing to rebuild it and make it right again.
damn ya it better i dont think its going south but if i dont do anything soon i think it will quick

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
So your asking why your RPS are higher? It maybe because your not turning enough RPMs to lock the torque converter? Therefor it is still blowing through the converter which results in higher RPMs. Thats my thought anyway. And if I read it right you dont have the 4.10 gears installed yet? I agree with others, 4.56 or 4.88 gears are in order. If it sees alot of road miles then the 4.56s might be the better choice for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
The EEC will lock the torque converter usually anything around 35mph... You don't have to have a minimum input speed for it to actually lock up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts