Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my friend wrecked his 1st gen lightning last week and is going to buy it back from the insurance company and part it out. I happen to have a spare bronco that my sister blew the engine up in which is a 94 with mass air 302 e4od. The lightning engines are SD. Now before I pee myself with excitement and dreams of driving around in a lightning bronco here are my questions (brace yourselves)

1) will the 302 mass air work with the lightning engine? Or should I put the lightning comp in there?

2) the 351 has 150,000+ miles on it, what is it worth?

3) Is there anything special that I'm going to need from the lightning?

4) Is this just a standard 302 to 351 swap with a fancy 351?

5) how much would it cost to build up the lightning shortblock with forged bottom end (possible boost later :toothless)

6) Am I retarded for thinking I can swap a 351 sd engine into a mass air bronco?

I still want to keep the 4wd and I think this could be a fun project, the bronco is just sitting at my brothers house slowly falling apart so I might as well have some fun with it. :rockon Anyway, thanks for any help from the 351 guru's on here :thumbup :popc1: :popc1:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im not the expert on this, but if it were me id grab the puter from the lightning... it will be programmed for performance over your standard 351... id get the harness too, i dont know if youll need that for sure, but better to have it than not... Id use everything off the lightning otherwise youd be choking its performance, not to mentinon have to have someone tweak the program... as to what its worth with 150k? if you rode in it, been around it, you know how it runs... 150k is alot if someone dogged it, and didnt maintain it well... personally, I wouldnt be able to help myself... Id have to do it... and it prolly wouldnt hurt to freshen it up before you put it in so you dont have to pull it back out for awhile...

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
First Generation Lightnings (1993-1995) were Speed Density. MAF Upgrades are common with these trucks. They had GT40 heads, hypereutectic pistons and an upgraded E4OD. Second Generation came in 1999 (after a 3 year pause for redesign).

You have the MAF PCM, MAF Sensor, harness and E4OD. Research MAF Upgrade and go for it. With a tune, it would be great!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ that's what I was hoping to hear, I'm getting really excited about doing this, it's going to be a fun truck when its done

·
Registered
834 Posts
The 1st Gen lightning also had a true duel exhaust. It might be cool to grab that and sorta kinda reuse it if possible.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
What PCM is in the current 5.0L MAF Bronco?

You may have to deal with some minor issues, such as keeping the 5.8L fuel rail and ECT location. But, a tune can take care of the ECT.

Not sure if the 1st Generation Lightning is running 1 or 2 HEGO's. Also, look and see if you have a gray or black TFI on the distributor. They changed late 1994 and this may require a different distributor on the 5.8L.

All in all, not too complicated. See this link: MAF Upgrade - Lessons Learned Thread

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
keep it mass air.

and the 1st gens were speed density

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha I think a stout engine build is in order here, I'm going to take my time and make sure its done right. Anybody know who makes rebuild kits for e4od that would be able to hold say 600ft lbs of torque?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Haha I think a stout engine build is in order here, I'm going to take my time and make sure its done right. Anybody know who makes rebuild kits for e4od that would be able to hold say 600ft lbs of torque?
I get all my transmission part's from Racer X, i build transmissions, if you need any help with part's, lemme know. The E4OD is a great transmission to begin with, a few mods make it bulletproof.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get all my transmission part's from Racer X, i build transmissions, if you need any help with part's, lemme know. The E4OD is a great transmission to begin with, a few mods make it bulletproof.
Thats awesome. How difficult would it be for a very mechanically inclined person to do? I'm getting excited about this build.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's easy, i find it easy. I was a machinist for years though, so I'm used to being thorough and doing things mutliple times until it's just right. There's a few special tools you need, and alot recomended you dont need, there's videos and everything out there, Racer X can hook you up with all of it.

I build a transmission about every 6-8 weeks, I find it relaxing, takes me about two days working real easy lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's easy, i find it easy. I was a machinist for years though, so I'm used to being thorough and doing things mutliple times until it's just right. There's a few special tools you need, and alot recomended you dont need, there's videos and everything out there, Racer X can hook you up with all of it.

I build a transmission about every 6-8 weeks, I find it relaxing, takes me about two days working real easy lol
You're the man Jrgunn making me feel better and better about doing everything myself

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's just alot of steps, but dont worry about step 54 when you're on step 32 and you'll be fine. On the flip, don't FUBAR step 32 and think it won't matter, because when you get to 54 you'll be going back lol. Just be thorough, take your time, it's easy. Escpecially since nothing is rusty in a transmission lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts