Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perfect! I am looking at installing one shortly and was planning on running wires from the controller to the hitch. Hopefully this will save some time!! Thank you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to go ahead and try to install a trailer brake controller since there is factory plug but I am at a loss on how it works? I haven't been able to find much information on what I need. I thought I would just wire in a standard controller but the plug doesn't seem to do anything other than there is one wire that is a constant live 12v in it. There must be missing wiring connectors or modules?? What does this plug do? It doesn't seem to trip when I press the brake lever. I have been actively searching the site but not having any luck. Most of the instructions I have found for the 91 just has me running all new wires...this is what I was hoping to avoid. Suggestions/links please. Thank you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Steve. I will do some investigating but I think I will end up tapping into the hot wire and wiring the controller according to the factory wiring diagram. Seems much easier.
There is already a flat 4 way connection at the hitch so I only have to worry about the brake controller part. I could probably do with out the brake controller but I would just feel safer when towing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I can see why I confused you. What I meant is that I just use the 12v hot lead from the existing plug and run new wires for the rest of the controller. What I have is a draw tite electric brake controller with 4 wires for a 12v hot lead (which I will splice from the existing brake controller plug), a ground, a elec brake output, and to the cold side of brake switch. I will tie all that into the controller and run it to the existing 7 way plug on the trailer hitch. The 7 way plug has all the wiring run already for the lights, this will add the brakes. I thought that maybe the bronco had existing wire running back to the hitch for the elec brake output and the 12v aux....that doesn't seem to be the case so I will run them myself. Montana doesn't have a law that requires an aux battery for the brakes. I do have an aux battery on my RV for the electric brakes though I will not be pulling it with my bronco. Most of what I will be pulling with the bronco does not even require electric brakes or even have them but if the trailer has brakes I would like to be able to use them. I hope that makes more sense... :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice! I will do some wire tracing this week and see what I can do. I will probably have more questions... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts