Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
StemCellResearch
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so my 93 bronco 351w has sat due to leaks. I have alot of projects going on, so my plan was to eventually pull it and reseal it, upgrade to gt40 heads, and smog delete. Well, fortune favored me, and i scored a 351w with gt40 heads, aod, and transfercase very cheap. I know the guy, and he did the engine for his cousin. Had the heads rebuilt at a good shop in town. The cousin put the wrong direction water pump on, and blew a head gasket with less than 50 miles on it. I pulled the engine apart, and was very impressed. Everything really looks good, shockingly. There are a few burnt valves, but heads seem straight. Pistons look excellent, and I pulled a bearing to see, and it looks great and is all original ford. So turns out this is a completely stock engine with def under 150k miles, and id even guess under 100k based on what ive seen.
My plan is to drop the heads and block to a machine shop to have them checked for straightness and cracks, bc otherwise whats the point? My question to you all is, what would you do to improve this engine on a medium size budget? Cylinder walls and pistons look great, so Id love to be able to save money reusing as much as possible.
20200524_160326.jpg
20200601_154123.jpg
20200601_132608.jpg
20200530_175610.jpg
20200601_154133.jpg

Attachments

·
StemCellResearch
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, no responses thus far. I got the block cleaner to read the number on it. F4TE. So I guess this is a 94-96 block. Is there any way to also ID that? Is there anything different from my 1993 engine? My understanding is it would be for a roller cam; but the gt40 heads that were on it are not roller rockers. Could this be another reason they had an issue with this engine?

·
Registered
1983 Bronco. 460 with EFI/C6-6” lift riding on 3/4 axles
15 Posts
How much will your machine shop charge to go through the heads? Stock cam in the motor? Are you still running the speed density efi?

·
StemCellResearch
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much will your machine shop charge to go through the heads? Stock cam in the motor? Are you still running the speed density efi?
My hopes were to have an engine to easily pop in to the 93 bronco until i have time to do the original engine right. not too bad to check the heads, block, and do a valve job

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,249 Posts
You can have a roller cam/lifters without roller rockers. If you look at your picture of the block, you can see the 'spider' that holds the roller liftters in place. You have a roller cam in there.

·
Super Moderator
24,988 Posts
well, no responses thus far. I got the block cleaner to read the number on it. F4TE. So I guess this is a 94-96 block. Is there any way to also ID that? Is there anything different from my 1993 engine? My understanding is it would be for a roller cam; but the gt40 heads that were on it are not roller rockers. Could this be another reason they had an issue with this engine?
Yo,
"You can confirm whether you have a roller block by simply looking at the block part number to see if it is an F4TE Block. This will be located on the passenger side, above the starter and immediately adjacent to the Oil Pan. You will probably need to clean the area and use a flashlight. If you find an OEM F4TE Block, it would indeed be Roller Ready." by Seattle FSB

@BigBlue 94 can give you the full skinny!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,327 Posts
As long as the block number starts with F4, it's a roller ready engine. As pointed out, it does have a roller cam and lifters. They never came with roller rockers.

Have the shop put 2.02 or 2.10 intake valves in and 1.6 exhaust valves.

Comp 35-512-8 is a good speed density cam.

Reactions: StemCellResearch

·
Registered
835 Posts
Stock cam in the motor? Are you still running the speed density efi?
^^^^I'd start with what cam is in there as well. You would sorta hope if someone were dropping GT40 heads on they would have taken the opportunity to bump the cam a bit while it was relatively easy to get to.

The stock 351 intake shown in your last picture will limit the full potential of the GT40 heads. Easy to fix but will either be expensive (Edlebrock truck intake) or you have to be lucky in scrounging and prepared to replumb a mustang intake.

·
Registered
1983 Bronco. 460 with EFI/C6-6” lift riding on 3/4 axles
15 Posts
You will definitely want to do the upper and lower Edelbrock intake. The stock 351 intake is known to be a poor performer. However, you will only gain so much with the intake due to the speed density and stock cam.

·
StemCellResearch
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see this, but reviews are sketchy on it:

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I just did this on my bronco. I've not quite completed troubleshooting but I think I may need to replace the cam.

·
StemCellResearch
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just did this on my bronco. I've not quite completed troubleshooting but I think I may need to replace the cam.

funny bc i actually read your thread 2 days ago! lol. Do you know what the difference is between the edelbrock 3881 and yours? I saw the 3882 and 3884, and if its no different, might as well save $100+.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
funny bc i actually read your thread 2 days ago! lol. Do you know what the difference is between the edelbrock 3881 and yours? I saw the 3882 and 3884, and if its no different, might as well save $100+.
Did you see this thread? The only difference is that big ass pcv port on the back.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The block was untouched before me. def a stock cam. def interested in what big blue posted.
Ah, misunderstood. Thought the engine came to you with the GT40’s already installed, so let me rephrase: “if you are dropping GT40 heads on, take the opportunity to bump the cam a bit while it’s relatively easy to get to.” I see dash_cam has relayed his experience along the same lines.

SD will narrow the envelope in cam choices compared to MAF, however as Big Blue pointed out there are options available. While you won’t wring the full, potential of those heads out without a freer flowing intake, if funds were limited I’d prioritize a cam upgrade now while it’s easy and plan on the intake later.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,327 Posts
The block was untouched before me. def a stock cam. def interested in what big blue posted.
The comp cam I posted is almost maxing out what the SD system can handle. Almost. They recommended it to me nearly 15 years ago, and are still doing so today.

My 351 was an F4_E block, with the roller cam. Bored and decked the block, used 15cc dish pistons, race ported AFR165 heads, eddy intake, and longtube headers. Iirc, compression was 10.5:1

Desktop Dyno 2000, with the stock flow numbers for the AFR165 heads, rated my engine at 475ft/lbs at the graph minimum of 2000 rpms and 340 hp at like 5400 rpms. Now, keep in mind that their estimates are usually on the optimistic side. I'd probably rate it at 300 hp and 400 ft/lbs.

I slapped it back in the bronco with the entire factory injection left stock. Never tuned it for my upgrades before it burnt down. But it ran like a scalded ape, with 4.88 gears and 37s.

Because of not tuning the SD system, I would have some issues with a radical idle at stoplights. Sometimes it would die, but fire right back up. Also only got about 8 mpg on the highway, with an e4od.

Running a mustang intake will boost HP but torque will suffer slightly, compared to the edelbrock unit. Nowadays it's pretty easy to plumb the air inlet over to the stock box.

·
StemCellResearch
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thoughts on this cam? local guy selling new for half price:

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
508 Posts
My hopes were to have an engine to easily pop in to the 93 bronco until i have time to do the original engine right. not too bad to check the heads, block, and do a valve job
I’m confused....if you want to dump all your money into a major build of another 351 then why spend any money on this motor for performance? If it was me I would just reuse everything except what I couldn’t and just make it driveable while I dumped money into a stroker kit for the other 351 and made that motor as nasty as my wallet could go...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts