Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
StemCellResearch
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’m confused....if you want to dump all your money into a major build of another 351 then why spend any money on this motor for performance? If it was me I would just reuse everything except what I couldn’t and just make it driveable while I dumped money into a stroker kit for the other 351 and made that motor as nasty as my wallet could go...
Bc im weird with ADD lol. I figure I already have gt40 heads. The cam is cheap. The upper and lower intake can be moved to a new motor in the future. Otherwise, this is a virgin block in great shape, and id prefer not to mess with it too much.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
508 Posts
Bc im weird with ADD lol. I figure I already have gt40 heads. The cam is cheap. The upper and lower intake can be moved to a new motor in the future. Otherwise, this is a virgin block in great shape, and id prefer not to mess with it too much.
To each their own...(y):cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
If you want any performance gains you can feel when you press the gas pedal then you really need to do a mass air conversion. You can source many parts from junkyard or ebay, but for the eec computer and wiring, I would go with fiveologyracing.com. they have a really nice kit with instructions. Otherwise upgrading your speed density system will be like spending money for nothing. Many have done the SD camps and gt40 heads only to be disappointed over the pitiful gains.

My advice is, build it back stock, complete rebuild. Then save your money ($1000) for MAF conversion and do that. Then get bassani headers and y pipe and full exhaust($1200). Then save more money and put on the new intake ($900), which will require shimming the transmission mount up about 3/4" to 1" for the intake to clear the firewall. Then save more money and put some trickflo or afr heads($2400) on it. Then get a new tuner from tweecer($750) and have a custom tune made for your engine. Then you will be able to feel the extra 100 or so horses.

Performance is never cheap and always more than you think.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
And beware of the giant performance snowball, it tends to seek out the weakest link till everything downstream of the engine has been upgraded.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely....

·
Registered
835 Posts
And beware of the giant performance snowball, it tends to seek out the weakest link till everything downstream of the engine has been upgraded.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely....
^^^^truth...

Reactions: StemCellResearch

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
thoughts on this cam? local guy selling new for half price:

reading the link you sent, that's not for roller lifters.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,329 Posts
thoughts on this cam? local guy selling new for half price:

As dash pointed out, that's a flat tappet cam, and qont work with roller lifters. Though it would work if you retrograded to flat tappets. That's a downgrade imho.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts