Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bronco has been sitting around for a few years now and I'm looking to dump some money into it. What should I spend the dough on? I haven't done much with it except get bumpers, winch, 4.56 gears, front and rear lockers.

I think the Motor and trans are tired. Seats are all broken. Brakes sometimes Lock up. Power windows don't like to work.

It doesn't get wheeled much, But I'd like to lean towards GoFast style. I really like the stance on that Fearless Bronco, 4" BDS lift with 38's stuffed. So I think I might be looking towards fiberglass options. What do you think?

As it sits now

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
What would I do with 8k? Rebuild the engine and trans, new seats, and a trip somewhere far far away from here.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, it sounds like you should deal with the motor, tranny, brakes, windows, and any other basic maintenance issues first, and then see how much money you have left. :thumbup

·
Bronco Snob
2,306 Posts
I think the Motor and trans are tired. Seats are all broken. Brakes sometimes Lock up. Power windows don't like to work.
Throw in some cheetos and a hooker, and there's your 8k.:toothless Sounds like your running gear is solid...... if it was me, I'd get the rest of it mechanically sound (motor trans and brakes). The piece of mind in that would be worth it, it already looks great. You could also sell your billet grill to recoup some $$ :goodfinge ..what color blue is that?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I bought the billet grill and opted not to use it. I actually broke one of the mounting brackets when I took it off. Buuuut while it was stored at my brother's place he got bored and put it back on.

I'm not sure the color. My friend bought this bronco from a pawn shop and it was OJ White. After a few days of ridicule he got like a $300 paint job called a "blow & go".

I guess I'll look into engine and brake stuffs... :(

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
That $300 paint job doesn't look half bad.

I agree with getting the motor/trans freshioned up. Maybe a complete teardown and rebuild. That should take up the biggest chunk your of your budget. Then take a trip to the junkyard and get the parts you need for the other projects.

Oh, and where did you get that rear bumper?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I would spend what it takes to make it mechanically sound and drivable, and spend the rest on: GAS, a couple new guns, or another project POS.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
I am with the rest on the engine/trans rebuild. I would then upgrade the brakes with a rear disc conversion and hyrdroboost. I would power them with a saginaw pump upgrade. Then, if there is $$ left, seats. That should eat up that 8k pretty quick!!

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
There's always the Roadkill approach, dump 8k of engine into 1k of car.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You know what they say, "No matter what your budget is, the way to go as fast as possible is a $500 car and spend the rest on Summit"*

*or one of the several phrases that go something like that.

If you look at the pictures, he's still using stock radius arms on drop bracket. Those should be replaced with longer arms on stock brackets.

Reactions: FTA Boy

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
its a shame when $8k is just not enough, but on a bronco, its just a start. 8k would make for a nice motor, but it would take every cent of it.

The direction you take all depends on what you want out of it, what condition each system is in, and how much of the work your willing to do yourself.

You could completely rebuild both axles with lockers and gears and rebuild the entire suspension and shocks, and get everything powder coated for that.

You could completely go thru the fuel system, brake system, cooling system, a/c system, minor suspension repairs, minor engine repairs, minor interior repairs/upgrades, and make the whole vehicle more reliable.

Or you could put a new paint job on it and do a few of the above jobs as well.

Its all up to you and what condition your ride is in currently.

I can tell you though, $8k will not go far in the grand scheme of things. Since I have owned mine now for 4 years or so, I have put at least $10k into it. Looking at it from the curb you wouldnt be able to tell I spent a penny on it. But I have done alot of work. I just need another 25-35k to finish it up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
its a shame when $8k is just not enough, but on a bronco, its just a start. 8k would make for a nice motor, but it would take every cent of it.

The direction you take all depends on what you want out of it, what condition each system is in, and how much of the work your willing to do yourself.

You could completely rebuild both axles with lockers and gears and rebuild the entire suspension and shocks, and get everything powder coated for that.

You could completely go thru the fuel system, brake system, cooling system, a/c system, minor suspension repairs, minor engine repairs, minor interior repairs/upgrades, and make the whole vehicle more reliable.

Or you could put a new paint job on it and do a few of the above jobs as well.

Its all up to you and what condition your ride is in currently.

I can tell you though, $8k will not go far in the grand scheme of things. Since I have owned mine now for 4 years or so, I have put at least $10k into it. Looking at it from the curb you wouldnt be able to tell I spent a penny on it. But I have done alot of work. I just need another 25-35k to finish it up.
I can agree with this. I have put over 12k in the last 2 months into mine.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
OP, unless you're gonna put a rear winch in you should do something about that hitch (like weld a bunch of 1/4 to the factory skid plate and remove the hitch completely) because it's screwing your departure angle.

8k would make for a nice motor, but it would take every cent of it
5k would make a really nice motor, and another 3k would pay someone to assemble it

Depending on your level of DIY, how much you shop around and how much you're willing to shell out for brand name stuff 8k can go pretty damn far.

Spartan lockers in both axles, new bearings all around and a DIY-repaint should come in under $700 ($500 for the lockers, $100 for bearings and another $70 for the paint job (primer + tractor implement paint + clearcoat), $30 for the HF grinder, some wire wheels and flap discs).

New U-joints all around ($100) and some 1/4 wall drive shafts $200 (re-using the old yokes and slip section).

You can clock the t-case up for nearly free if you've got a lot of time on your hands.

Peel the carpet back and bedline it for and add more sound deadening for $100.

Extend and beef up the radius arms for $200 (paying someone else to do the welding).

Point is that if you're willing to work for it you can do a lot for 8k.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the constructive feedback. I can't really do work myself because I work/live away from my bronco. I only get a few weeks a year with it and don't like to spend that attempting to wrench.

Its at my brother's house and he likes to tinker. but not pull engine and Trans tinker. Although he did it on his 70's firebird, but that's a whole different animal. Bronco engine bay is very intimidating looking in comparison.

I guess I'll paw through engine builds and maybe try to piece some type of 351->408 kit and turn it over to somebody to do. Then start looking for transmissions. The 4L60E transmission on my 99 Silverado went out and it cost a fortune for a fancy rebuild kit/labor. I think I'd be better off buying a whole new one.

Yeah, the tow hitch needs to go. The hitch is locked in the receiver and I never got a key to it. Haha.

Also, it's kind of discouraging looking through all these years long build threads that eventually dwindle to a post every 5 months and then just die off before there's a finished product. Broncos are hard work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts