Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've found a couple rear axles to replace the 8.8 on my bronco during the SAS. I'm having trouble finding front axles, but that's another topic.

Anyway, I've located a few Ford 9 inch and a D60 at a local yard. He'll sell them to me complete, but I won't tell you guys how much until I get some responses...I think the price is pretty cheap, especially for the D60.

I'm still not sure if I'm going with a D44/Ford 9 or twin D60's. I have most parts available for the rebuilding/upgrading of the Ford 9/D44 CHEAP, but would have to pay full price for the D60 stuff. As such, I'm leaning toward the 9/D44, but that D60 is always in the back of my head.

So what do you guys think? What is too much for a yard axle?

I'm considering buying them both and selling one on ebay if it looks like I'm getting a deal.

~Jeff

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
Horizon said:
So I've found a couple rear axles to replace the 8.8 on my bronco during the SAS. I'm having trouble finding front axles, but that's another topic.

Anyway, I've located a few Ford 9 inch and a D60 at a local yard. He'll sell them to me complete, but I won't tell you guys how much until I get some responses...I think the price is pretty cheap, especially for the D60.

I'm still not sure if I'm going with a D44/Ford 9 or twin D60's. I have most parts available for the rebuilding/upgrading of the Ford 9/D44 CHEAP, but would have to pay full price for the D60 stuff. As such, I'm leaning toward the 9/D44, but that D60 is always in the back of my head.

So what do you guys think? What is too much for a yard axle?

I'm considering buying them both and selling one on ebay if it looks like I'm getting a deal.

~Jeff
A front 60 is gonna cost ya. Not just in initial purchase. either rear axle should be cheap. I would not pay more than about $100 for a 60 rear. I bought mine for a lot more, but it already had 4.56 Spicer gears, detroit, and discs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Shadofax said:
A front 60 is gonna cost ya.
I would not pay more than about $100 for a 60 rear.
Here in the Midwest I woun't pay more than $100 for any rear axle. IN fact a re-fresh should cost you more than the axle. Selling them on e-bay you'll pay more shipping that the price for the rear axle. (It's not worth it, unless you find a No-Spin)

FYI I got a 10.25 1990 Ford rear axle for $100. Great shape!
I also got the matching Dan 60 from for $100. ALso great shape!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
What vintage/style is the D60 front? That'll make a lot of difference in the price. I wouldn't give more than $800 for a complete 78-79 kingpin and like $600 for a later model kingpin, but that's just me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are both rear axles.

The D60 is out of a late 80's f350.

One of the 9's is currently in a mid 70's f100 2wd, the other is in the back of a pickup truck.

Just for info, the guy is telling me $200 each for any axle I want. Problem is I can't find ANY front axles other than a few D60s from late models...and that guy wants a lot (350) for just the core...no internals or steering components. That said, he had a D60 out of a late model coil sprung dodge with 4-link mounts. I had played with the idea for about 5 seconds, then moved on....unless someone here thinks it might be worthwile to build a four link front. Even then, I'de still have to get all the internals and steering components and determine if the coil mount on the axle can be oriented properly under the upper coil mounts as well as figure out how to build a other end(s) of the links to meet the frame. Would that even be doable and still get articulation out of the suspension? It sure would be different...

The problem here is I can get all the internals for the D44/9 cheap, but the D60 is simply a better axle and seems to be easier to find....strangely enough....but will be much more expensive to build.

~Jeff

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW....the guy with the dodge D60 front axle also has several complete 10.25's....

~Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts