Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a good reason i need to get rid of my ttb and can i get it geard right for 38s or there a reason why not

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
TO many moving parts and big tires dont do to well. especially if you actually plan on wheeling the thing hard and driving it the next day.

Not to mention with all the issues TTB has with alignment your gonna wear down your 250-300 bucks a tire real fast.
^^^ this should be the least of your worries BTW^^^

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Stock axles wont last too long especially if used or abuse with bigger tires. You will blow up diffs, break axles or ujoints. I've broken u-joints with 33's and stripped the teeth off my spider gears on my D44 with my 33's. With 38's you're putting a lot more stress on all the parts. Start using search and you'll see for yourself.

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
38's would be pushing the limits of your rear 8.8 just as much as they are pushing your TTB front. Add gears and maybe a locker or two and your going to be fixing stuff shortly. Now if it is a street queen, then you could get by. I would find myself an 8lug D44 and a 10.25 and swap those up under the bronco.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Everyones quick to bash it, and somewhat rightfully so. But in my experience, the TTB is fine. I have 37's and do very little wheeling, although that will change as I fix the truck up the way I want it. Alignment has been perfect the last 3 years until I hit a massive hole in the mud a couple months ago. I also have stock gears, which lowers the stress on the stuff everyone talks about breaking.

Its all in what you plan to use it for. For me, it works great.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
The "What is NOT wrong with TTB" is a much shorter list... :thumbup

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
JDOGG said:
is there a good reason i need to get rid of my ttb and can i get it geard right for 38s or there a reason why not
If you plan to actually use the truck, 38's are going to cause you a number of problems. The front TTB, as stated, has a lot of extra stuff moving....like what? you might ask....It's obviously designed to be an independent front, to the passenger side has an added Ujoint mid section, and of course the arms are designed to allow pivoting up and down. The housing is lighter, made of stamped steel. All this ability to move with big tires like those, will make keeping an alighnment a task. Your ball joints will likely not last long between changes, maybe requiring new ones every few years, and of course the D44 itself will be way stressed in the axleshaft/Ujoint department. All the steering stuff...tie rods, arms, etc. are OK for 1/2T work....but 38's, there kinda smallish to be moving that meat around.

The 8.8 also will have a heck of a time keeping up, and I would not rule out eventual breakage here if used too hard.

If you're already thinking 38's, and may even want to go bigger, I wouldn't do an SAS with a D44 solid front. I really think the limit to a solid 44 front (with upgraded axles/joints....$$$) is about 38's max. if you want to run big meats 38+, and actually use the truck offroad, you really need a D60 front, and of course one of the Full float 8 lug rears (several choices here).

The TTB is fine with smaller tires. I liked the TTB just fine with 35's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts