Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have heard a few different things, but a search showed me nothing of what i wanted.

is it true that certain year dana 60's from certain year trucks will bolt into a 78-79 bronco, i mean complete bolt in, minus driveshaft

meaning the perches are in the right spot and all.

i have heard yes, and i have heard no, the perches need to be redone.

if so, how do you make sur ethat the perches are matched to them selves perfect, and you have the right pionion angle

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey Blueoval,
When I first started gathering parts for my rig,i came across a dana 60 rear from a 79 f250.It bolted right up without any problems.It was awhile ago,but i think you need new ubolts.Now I have a dana 70.I had to move the spring perches on this one.Hope this helps

·
Registered
506 Posts
any rear from any ford truck 77 1/2 on will go in no mods.. The way to tell is if the leafs (or perches) are 3", it will go in. Also the shocks are closer to the pumpkin in the early trucks. I have had a 78 rear and now have a 76 rear. That is how I know.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
yep, my 79 bolted right in, lined up great. i had to get a different u joint in the end of the shaft. i used my angle blocks & everything that was there with the 9" setup. on the pre 77 axles the perches are closer together? i think thats it. i didnt know this but really older axles have 16 spline axles shafts. i dont know what year that was, i almost bought a set for spares until i read the fine print

·
Registered
506 Posts
my 76 has 30sp axles. I think the 16 sp units were way earlier like 60- 72 or something. And yes, earlier trucks had the perches closer together, as the frame was narrower by 6 inches I think....:shrug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts