Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start getting parts to to a SAS on my 95 Bronco, I need some guidance on what trucks I should be looking at to get what I need, and what will be the pros or cons.

·
Registered
363 Posts
78-79 best IMO
~87-91.5 second best
92-95 lest favorite but cheapest, non-kingpin

A quick google search will bring up tons of information

I've had them all and if you have a more specific question I might be able to help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If a 85-97 will bolt up, what would be the advantage of using the 78-79 that it seems everyone else is using?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I try to get as much info as possible from other peoples accounts. But then again, I never assumed that they all new exactly what they were doing. African-American ingenuity had to come from somewhere.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Well I try to get as much info as possible from other peoples accounts. But then again, I never assumed that they all new exactly what they were doing. African-American ingenuity had to come from somewhere.
I don't know what you're saying. As far as African-American anything,they probably stole it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, well racial profiling didn't come about for no reason. I have been to Iraq, can't say that it was the African American or the white population trying to blow us up. Not racism, just sayin.

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
I just read a post that said 86-92 F350 leaf Dana 60 looks like it came stock & most is straight bolt in & things like steering bolts up, brake lines, easy shackle mounts etc. -Kevin-:thumbup

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still don't get what makes the 78-79 the best choice. What makes these years better than those that bolt up more easily?

·
Registered
453 Posts
You should search, there is a ton of information on this website rather than ask for people to give it to ya. The 78-79 has king pins the newer one has ball joints. Ball joints wear out and King pins can be rebuilt and serviced. The kingpin axles leaf perch is further inward that the ball joint ones also. Which means the tire will be further away from the leaf spring for turning radus.

If you don't know the difference in axles you might not be ready for an sas.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
You should search, there is a ton of information on this website rather than ask for people to give it to ya. The 78-79 has king pins the newer one has ball joints. Ball joints wear out and King pins can be rebuilt and serviced. The kingpin axles leaf perch is further inward that the ball joint ones also. Which means the tire will be further away from the leaf spring for turning radus.

If you don't know the difference in axles you might not be ready for an sas.
85.5-91 had kp also. I gave him two links. You can lead a horse to water.....

·
Registered
550 Posts
I still don't get what makes the 78-79 the best choice. What makes these years better than those that bolt up more easily?
The only difference is that the 78-79 has the center of the pinion moved over about 3.5" (the entire center section is moved over). So you have a slightly longer axle tube on the short side (compared to the 80's style Dana 60), and a slightly shorter axle tube on the long side (again, compared to the 80's style Dana 60). Otherwise, they're the same. It just depends on your application. Generally, the 78-79 is more desireable. But the spring pad width may work better with the 80's style Dana 60. I believe the spring pad width on the 78-79 is 31.5", and on the later Dana 60, it's 36.5".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice, I try to read as much as I can through all the previous threads, but sometimes the important stuff gets overlooked or lost in translation. If the direct answer to my question was in another thread, then I must have overlooked it and I apologize for being another one of the idiots that repeated an already answered question.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Go to the SAS section and in the stickies look for the SAS Newbie thread. Yeah, it's like 80 some odd pages long, but it will answer all of your questions. Read the whole thing, and unless you're a complete idiot that will have answered all of your questions. Repeatedly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts