Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1984 bronco with a 300ci motor and 4 speed. I know it is not running on all cylinders. I can pull at least 2 (haven't tried any more) plug wires out and the motor actually runs smoother. I started looking at the distributer and it is in the position of a 87 or later according to my Haynes manual. I just need to be able to tell what year my motor is. I know the motor has been rebuilt or replaced. I know I need to see if it is on the #1 plug at TDC but I work alot in the summer. I would still like to know of a way to identify the year of my motor.
Thanks for any help or suggestions. :rebelflag

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
E7TE XXXXX
E= 80's
7= 7th year of the letter decade before it (1987)
T= Truck
E= Engine part

Look on the sticker of the valve cover (if it has one on it) and if its original you may be able to tell what year. Thats how I know my 68 mustang has a 74 250

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can use the casting # as mentioned or you can pull the valve cover. If the rockers are are stud mounted the engine is a 84-down, if they are pedestal mounted the engine is 85-up.

87-up valve covers have a tube in the front with a plug that screws into it for the oil filler.

To find TDC you need to look on the balancer for a thin scribe line on the rear of the balancer, NOT the large notch. This scribe line lines up with the timing marks on the tab bolted to the PASSENGER side of the engine, not the cast in marks on the timing cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thanks a million. I would have made some mistakes with finding TDC.
Hey my bronco is two tone blue with my fair share of rust, but I drive it for fun.
No screw in filler tube but the distributer is for a late model. Maybe they replaced the motor and used the old valve cover. It has a 1bbl carb. Maybe it is something stupid I haven't looked at. Fuel pump (dead cylinders) no? Good compression and spark.

·
Registered
126 Posts
First I look for a vacuum leak. the 300 is really sensetive to vacuum leaks.
I'd try tightening all the intake/exhaust bolts. You'll be surprized how loose some of them will be. those long manifolds expand and contract alot and the bolts loosen over time. Also grab the carb and wiggle it back and forth to see if there is any movement in the carb. If there is take the carb off and tighten the screws underneath that hold the base plate to the carb body Over time the throttle cable pulling on the carb will loosen these.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.