Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be a good axel for a 10" lift and i want to ru 40's. what is the differnce bewene a normal dana and a dana hd. also what are these ton rating like i have hear 1 ton bronco and 3/4 and 1/2 ton bronco. is that just how much the axel can hold and also, can u put cross over steering on a bronco or do u have to have special knuckles i think there called.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
the only real options (unless you know some people with better fab skills and have some $$$$) is a 44 or a 60. If you are going 40's, skip the 44 and go to a 60.
A 44 HD is out of the f250 p/u and (Jopes correct me if I am wrong) it has thicker tubs and 8 lugs, and might be a bit wider, but I dont know for sure on that.
If you go with coils, you wont need xover steering, but most of us have run DOM tubing with chevy one ton TRE's and tapped the knuckles from the top just to get some added clearance and strength.

Really, you need to read this whole section, you will find lots of this stuff that you are asking has been covered numerous times.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
1/2 ton: 44 front, 9" rear
3/4 ton: 44hd front, 60 rear
1 ton: 60 front, 70 rear (or 10.25 or corp 14 bolt)

do you know how to weld/fabricate? Or know someone who does? Cause you are going to need that for the swap. And research, LOTS of research. There are tons of writes ups out the there for an SAS.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Get yourself a tera60 if you got a couple thousand dollars to throw around. If not, then, go with a D60. You will need the 2 inc shafts to handle those large tires. You could risk a 44 with some different shafts. It all depends on how much you got to spend. But for sure you will need to upgrade your rear axle to a 60, you will torqe the crap out of the stock 44 in a heart beat trying to push all that tire around.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
broncojared said:
You will need the 2 inc shafts to handle those large tires. You could risk a 44 with some different shafts. It all depends on how much you got to spend. But for sure you will need to upgrade your rear axle to a 60, you will torqe the crap out of the stock 44 in a heart beat trying to push all that tire around.
:wtf are you smoking? 2" shafts? maybe in a rockwell. 60s are either 1.3 or 1.5" shafts. stock 44 rear? no, its either a 9" or 8.8".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts