Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New engine? Suspension upgrades, lockers, wheels & tires, great seats or a killer new stereo system? What's the BEST upgrade you've done to your Bronco and why?

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
294 Posts
Shift knob. My Bronco had one of those chrome t handle jobbies. The chrome was starting to flake, it put my hand where my middle finger stuck out down the shift lever when I grabbed it, and was generally unpleasant to the touch. I got a factory knob from a junkyard. It is round, easy to get my hand around, is warmer and colder than the metal t-handle when the weather is cold or hot, and had a generally pleasant texture.

Since it is the thing I interact with second most after the steering wheel, it makes a huge difference in experience even though it is a small thing.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Rebuilding the front end (bushings, etc.) and going through the brakes soup to nuts. Both were long overdue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Shift knob. My Bronco had one of those chrome t handle jobbies. The chrome was starting to flake, it put my hand where my middle finger stuck out down the shift lever when I grabbed it, and was generally unpleasant to the touch. I got a factory knob from a junkyard. It is round, easy to get my hand around, is warmer and colder than the metal t-handle when the weather is cold or hot, and had a generally pleasant texture.

Since it is the thing I interact with second most after the steering wheel, it makes a huge difference in experience even though it is a small thing.

Nice! LOL! So $2 or $5 that was well spent! Sometines it's the details that make the biggest difference. You must be very pleased with your Bronco overall.

The Saginaw steering pump upgrade is another I've never heard a bad comment about. Ford did use that setup on some vans. I'm running stock 31-10.5R15 tires so the steering hasn't been an issue YET.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Air locking differential.
now I can drive through 50% of the spots that need 4 wheel drive with just the rear axle locked in 2wd
In 4wheel drive locked axle it’s just point and steer. Goes nearly any where effortlessly. No more thrashing the bronco

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
222 Posts
The $70 I spent getting my A/c working good on those 90°+ high humidity days has to be right up there!

My Bronco was so neglected, for so long before I got it, that it is all money well spent! I'm bringing it back, one step at a time thanks to this forum!

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
595 Posts
This is akin to asking a parent which kid is their favorite. Which made the most visual impact? Lift and tires. Which made it more fun to drive? Stereo System. Which made it more usable on hot Arizona days? Soft top. it has had an engine rebuild and a trans rebuild, so all the other stuff would be pointless without those.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,366 Posts
It'd be easier for me to pick what I thought was the worst money spent.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,366 Posts
Worst upgrade, or should I say upgrade that probably wasn't worth it, would be long tubes for my old 351M.

Best upgrade is harder, because there are several I like a lot. I guess it would be a toss up between EFI or regearing the axles after putting on 35's.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I guess I forgot the why part.

I think the long tubes added nothing of value as far as performance goes. The 351M wasn't putting out enough power for it to matter, but the headers were very cheap (used), so I figured why not.

EFI because of everything positive anyone ever says about EFI. lol.

Regearing was like adding an enormous chunk of hp to my engine though it did limit the top end speed. The difference is stupid. Went from 3.50 to 4.56 on 35's.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
792 Posts
well... where to start

new steering linkage (moog) plus red head steering box and borgesson shaft, changed the steering completly
new brakes, and ordered Hydroboost, looking for a huge difference
new engine is ordered, lets see what a 460 does vs. an old 400

I would expect these 3 are my favorite, however as well most costly.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
Hydroboost brakes on the 78, along with all stainless lines, tbird calipers, and rear disc brakes. This combo enables me to drive this truck in today's world (traffic) with confidence. Where I live (near Indianapolis) there is too many people distracted and driving and they all have brakes 50% or better then what the 78/79 does stock (even the cheapest crap box cars build in the last 10 years do). As such good brakes are a must.
Yes I keep a good following distance, but that only goes so far when the majority of people I speak of above, also all seem to use 100% of their brakes 90% of the time, ironically they also use the gas pedal as such.

Reactions: SRWillis

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Lockers! True tracks front and rear , and some molly axles. Then the SAS but it realy depends on how you wheel whether its for you. Warn 8274 wench. Then theres always that's where I asked my wife to marry me after a day of riding in my Bronco 20 something tears ago......

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
408 Posts
In terms of most to least cost effective:
12* timing bump
Door striker bushings
Porterfield r4s pads and shoes. Stops on a dime even on 35" tires.
Electric fan conversion.
Saginaw pump
4.56 gears
Proper Tires for my needs

·
Registered
858 Posts
In terms of most to least cost effective:
12* timing bump
Door striker bushings
Porterfield r4s pads and shoes. Stops on a dime even on 35" tires.
Electric fan conversion.
Saginaw pump
4.56 gears
Proper Tires for my needs
I also got serious mileage from door hinge pins/bushings, striker bushings for the doors and rear seat latch, and window seals and cat whiskers. My doors, windows, and rear seat would literally sound like the truck was falling apart. Just getting those under control was a massive improvement.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts