Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,228 Posts
Dual 3" exhaust with a decent muffler. 460's really need to breathe to get anything more that standard out of them. so I went from single 3" to dual when I put the new engine in. A good improvement, but the cherry bombs I had on it were poppy & noisy on downshifting after a few months of getting burnt in. And I was still tinkering with timing and carb adjustments trying to find the sweet spot. I finally got tired of the noise when the hotrod sound got old, and put on a dual in/out muffler. Not Flowmaster, and I'd have to go thru my emails to find the brand, but it was the cherry on the cake. Just enough back pressure to keep some power in the cylinders that I was looking for, and it took away that baffly pop.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hmmmmm...... probably the Motorcraft intermittent wiper switch I just ordered to replace the non-Motorcraft switch I installed a couple of years ago....... (I cheaped out, against my better judgement) that just crapped out......

POS!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My 1978 Bronco Custom was probably 95% stock when I purchased it, unfortunately it developed a head gasket leak soon afterwards. I rebuilt the whole engine, a 400, at 103,000 miles. Being a gearhead at heart, I had to make some improvements. Compression was increases with pistons from TMeyer, a small hydraulic roller cam from Howards, oiling system modifications, mildly ported heads with Ferrea valves, Edelbrock Performer 400 intake a Holley 670 Street Avenger carburetor and MSD ignition. I've literally doubled the horsepower (not difficult to do!).

That's been my only real expenditure to this point and it has been well worth it. The 78-79 Broncos have always seemed like vehicles that should have MORE POWER, and I haven't been disappointed with the properly built 400.

A 4" lift is next, and it will be interesting to see if a good suspension can unseat the engine as "best mod"!

·
Super Moderator
26,022 Posts
Yo,

We have shopped for Motorcraft® Parts, always⚠😁

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
287 Posts
This was the best money spent on my Bronco!!

I am so jealous! The lowest I have seen was 89 cents and I thought that was pretty good. The best money I have spent on my Bronco so far was the $17 a year antique tag.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,091 Posts

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,776 Posts
The $1200 or so I put into the engine rebuild....... but need to subtract the $30 I paid for the piece of shit new 1 barrel carb! It’s pushing WAAAAAY to much fuel.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,172 Posts
Ranked in order of best..
351 swap
4.56 gears - Detroit locker
soft top
37 inch tires

solid axle...

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Without question rebuilding my 351 into a 400, upped compression, roller cam, duels, 4 bbl carb, and MSD. Runs so much better. Even improved the fuel economy.

·
Registered
81 FSB 351w turbo’d w/ ZF5 swap
81 Posts
351w, turbo’d it, with a zf5 swap into my 81. Ultimate ugly sleeper that hauls A$$....

New engine? Suspension upgrades, lockers, wheels & tires, great seats or a killer new stereo system? What's the BEST upgrade you've done to your Bronco and why?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts