Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been wondering and thinking about this for a while. lately ive been having all these problems with my truck and ive been finding out about a lot of common problems with ford trucks in general. i know theyre easy to upgrade but what else is good about them. im really starting to wonder if these trucks are crap like everyone says. i heard someone say that 200000 is expected from these trucks, is that cause of age or technology or is it just not built as well.i know a modern h2 has a life expectancy of 300000. i compared my door lock solenoids to a gm one of the same era and theirs looked better built. am i just imagining things? do chevys have this many problems? i know the new chebbys are crap cause my dads is only 5 years old and it has all sorts of problems, but what about the ones that are the same age as our broncos?

·
Registered
568 Posts
The newest bronco is 14 years old. Some can have alot of problems, it depends on how well they were taken care of. Ive seen some ford work trucks at the junkyard with over 300,000 miles. I know my dads 90 gmc has cheap cardboard door panels that fall apart, and the speakers whine. A guy I know with a cheby is scared to wheel his truck cause the tranny might blow. His truck is basically a mall crawler.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The newest bronco is 14 years old. Some can have alot of problems, it depends on how well they were taken care of. Ive seen some ford work trucks at the junkyard with over 300,000 miles. I know my dads 90 gmc has cheap cardboard door panels that fall apart, and the speakers whine. A guy I know with a cheby is scared to wheel his truck cause the tranny might blow. His truck is basically a mall crawler.
ive seen some of those work trucks, one has stereo speakers wired into the existing speakers with extention cords. most i remember is 270000.how new is this mall crawler cheby?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
^ Japanese = Domestic.

Want half a million mile life expectancy? Buy European.

But unless that Euro car is a Volv or a MB, prefer to pay out the ass for it.

We don't overbuild like we used to, and it shows. The problem with cutting corners to stay competitive, is some corners get cut more so than others.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
and second thought would be imports have a more stringently followed preventative maintenance schedule, whereas domestics tend to get run til they break.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
too laxy tomultiquote.. but in the same breath (post?) that you raved about the near Toyota Corolla or Volvo 240 like resiliency of the H2, you simultaneously bagged on Chevy trucks, the one guy that won't wheel due to an imploding transmission, and the Dads truck that is 5 years old, has one foot in the Coffin, and kicking dirt with the other..

A small trade secret that is known to NO ONE>>>> is that the H2 is just a 3/4 ton Pickup/Tahoe.

Yup, re read that again so it sinks in.

I have been around a couple on our main clients lot, and they are ill assembled. Sunroofs leak, take out electronics, from the stereo to the ECM... They are the worst designed pile ever.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
too laxy tomultiquote.. but in the same breath (post?) that you raved about the near Toyota Corolla or Volvo 240 like resiliency of the H2, you simultaneously bagged on Chevy trucks, the one guy that won't wheel due to an imploding transmission, and the Dads truck that is 5 years old, has one foot in the Coffin, and kicking dirt with the other..

A small trade secret that is known to NO ONE>>>> is that the H2 is just a 3/4 ton Pickup/Tahoe.

Yup, re read that again so it sinks in.

I have been around a couple on our main clients lot, and they are ill assembled. Sunroofs leak, take out electronics, from the stereo to the ECM... They are the worst designed pile ever.
whoa, hold it right there. i hate h2s, and i know theyre a disguised tahoe. im just using it as an example, i heard it has a life expectancy of 300000 miles in a comparison between it and the toyota prius. lets put it this way, is 300000 miles to be expected of a modern truck? i read that 200000 miles isnt unusual for a modern car just because of the improvements in oil, so maybe that has something to do with it since our trucks havve already run on lesser oils for a decent part of their lives.

car.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jeez people i just wanted to know if all truck this age have this many problems or just fords. and what is the life expectancy of a modern american made truck. and while we're on the topic of life expectancy has anyone heard those storys of PSDs going 500000 miles with just routine maintenance.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Japanese > Domestic.
GTFO.

:twak

It's caused it's EFI. EFI sucks.

I don't care.

No, seriously, it's an old rig and I KNOW you have wheeled it hard at times. ;)

That decreases part/life expectancy.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IDI'S yes, shitty PSD's, no.
werent early werent liek the early 90s psds just idis with turbos?

GTFO.

:twak

It's caused it's EFI. EFI sucks.

I don't care.

No, seriously, it's an old rig and I KNOW you have wheeled it hard at times. ;)

That decreases part/life expectancy.
me? never:haha

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
they offered the IDI with a turbo, yes.

The first PSD didn't wear a PSD name badge, yes.

In 1994 you could get both PSD and IDI, depending on if you ordered the Junk E40D or the much stouter ZF...

A PSD was never a turbocharged IDI, simply because by sheer nature of design, the PSD is Direct injection, and also by pure irony of serendipity, the IDI is an In Direct Injection design.

Virtually nothing goes 500k with routine maintenance. If you have found something that will, I can all but guarantee the bulk of what makes it go will be mechanical in nature, not electronic.

Buy a Civic, or.... realize that a vehicle will be what you make it. As I referenced, the cars that have the longevity ratings, are A; not river crossed typically; B: have a prescribed maintenace interval of 15k intervals, that is followed religiously.

We do too, but it is not as vigorously followed.

An H2 does not will not can not have an average life expectancy of 300k. Can't. Nothing made toady with an auto trans, can be expeted to go that far w/o at least one, if not multiple trans rebuilds....

And yes, Fords are junk. Every one of the 10,000 users on this boards just logs in so we can circle jerk to pictures of Chevy's with Bob Seger playing in the back ground.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
we typed at same time, I was just trying to be as argumentative as the OP....

And, for the record, while I think the 7.3 (...my hating goes away as the displacement gets smaller, 6.0, 6.4... and I hope the 6.7 ) PSD is an okay powerplant, I will never regard it as a GREAT powerplant. My humble opinion, that is all.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
they offered the IDI with a turbo, yes.

The first PSD didn't wear a PSD name badge, yes.

In 1994 you could get both PSD and IDI, depending on if you ordered the Junk E40D or the much stouter ZF...

A PSD was never a turbocharged IDI, simply because by sheer nature of design, the PSD is Direct injection, and also by pure irony of serendipity, the IDI is an In Direct Injection design.

Virtually nothing goes 500k with routine maintenance. If you have found something that will, I can all but guarantee the bulk of what makes it go will be mechanical in nature, not electronic.

Buy a Civic, or.... realize that a vehicle will be what you make it. As I referenced, the cars that have the longevity ratings, are A; not river crossed typically; B: have a prescribed maintenace interval of 15k intervals, that is followed religiously.

We do too, but it is not as vigorously followed.

An H2 does not will not can not have an average life expectancy of 300k. Can't. Nothing made toady with an auto trans, can be expeted to go that far w/o at least one, if not multiple trans rebuilds....
Uh yea the first powerstroke wore a PS badge.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts