Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
The 92+ starters have a planetary gear reduction built into them. This allows them to use a smaller lighter higher RPM lower HP electric motor by gearing it down. I know cause i took my 94 F-150 4.9L starter apart to try to save it, but i ended up having to replace it anyways.

· Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
The PMGR units Ryan sells seem to be of good quality, touting some nice key feartures, which is why I will buy one of those shortly. Not having any problems with a starter is a good thing, but after 13 years of use I just believe sooner or later the motorcraft one is going to give out. I'd buy another motorcraft unit but it's likely 2x's the cost of what Ryan's starters cost. Already bought the 2ga cable from him too, so will swap the starter cable out when I put the new unit in.

· Lick my balls
12,958 Posts
The 91- starters do not have a solenoid on the starter,they use an internal winding and a plate to engage the starter drive,the power for engaging the starter comes from the fender mounted RELAY(it is not a solenoid).The 92+ starters have a starter mounted solenoid to engage the starter drive and provide power to the starter from the battery.
I call BS, the solenoid is engaged by the starter relay and once the solenoid is engaged it drives the gear into the flywheel via a fork doohicky.

are you saying that this starter does not have a solenoid?

this is what I have in my Bronco and although it looks different, it does have a solenoid.

Sterters simply wont work with out the solenoid.

· Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
I went ahead and ordered a starter from Ryan
If you can I'd love to see a few install pics and hear opinion once you have it installed. Mine is going to be ordered soon.:thumbup

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Well Waltman.First off,the top starter is a 92+(that is 1992 and newer)and it does have a solenoid like I stated in my post. For the second starter,check out this web page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_self_starter ,scroll down to the "gear-reduction starters" and read the portion that starts with "Ford also issued".The first portion of the second sentence is as follows:"This type of starter eliminated the solenoid".That having been said,I suppose that the second starter engagment system could be a type of "solenoid system due to the fact that electrical current moves a mechanical device and closes contacts to provide power to the windings".:scratchhe IMHO,It's just easier to think of one system as having a starter mounted solenoid and the other system as not having one.:beer

Anyhow,you can install the newer gear reduced starter in place of the old type by running a jumper wire from the larger battery cable post(with the battery cable) on the solenoid to the smaller "S" terminal-The fender relay will then apply power to both the "BAT" and "S" terminals on the solenoid causing the starter to operate.

· Lick my balls
12,958 Posts
Well Waltman.First off,the top starter is a 92+(that is 1992 and newer)and it does have a solenoid like I stated in my post. For the second starter,check out this web page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_self_starter ,scroll down to the "gear-reduction starters" and read the portion that starts with "Ford also issued".The first portion of the second sentence is as follows:"This type of starter eliminated the solenoid".That having been said,I suppose that the second starter engagment system could be a type of "solenoid system due to the fact that electrical current moves a mechanical device and closes contacts to provide power to the windings".:scratchhe IMHO,It's just easier to think of one system as having a starter mounted solenoid and the other system as not having one.:beer

Anyhow,you can install the newer gear reduced starter in place of the old type by running a jumper wire from the larger battery cable post(with the battery cable) on the solenoid to the smaller "S" terminal-The fender relay will then apply power to both the "BAT" and "S" terminals on the solenoid causing the starter to operate.
Well I'll be dipped in dog shit, you're right! I thought I had one of those apart once, but I guess not.

· Registered
243 Posts
both starters use a solenoid. the first gear reduction starter just uses 2 of them. also the second starter is very heavy and it sux to replace on a lifted truck. i have the first one on my older truck. witch leads me to they are both wired different. one has a single wire running to it wich would be the second bigger starter. the first sarter uses 2 wires ran down from the solenoid.

· Registered
9 Posts
The 91- starters do not have a solenoid on the starter,they use an internal winding and a plate to engage the starter drive,the power for engaging the starter comes from the fender mounted RELAY(it is not a solenoid).The 92+ starters have a starter mounted solenoid to engage the starter drive and provide power to the starter from the battery.
but can you use the earlier type on a newer bronco ?

:popc1:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.