Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got a 96' XLT with a 5.0 and I've pulled a bunch of cars out of ditched in the western NY winters. I've pulled a 27 foot camper for my gf's grandparents, Bko did great but didn't like stopping very much. Need a trail brake box. My best story would have to be pulling a Ford Thorass out of the lake. She back down in there with a tin fishing boat on the back and she kept sliding. she ended up with water in the front seat of her car and it was dead. On wet grass and everything my Bko pulled her up the hill back to the black top. Started in 2wd and roostered the whole car with mud. It was great to see a city slicker women about shit when the whole car was covered in mud. I put it in 4WD and she walked up the hill at idle.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
my biggest load ended up screwing my truck. The timing was off from the p.o and I towed four atvs on a big trailer up a really steep mountain.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Never have had the top off mine & use other rigs for hauling ('07 Expedition, '75 Crew Cab F350 with 17" carhauler bed, '97 F350), so the most I've hauled is 2 of the 49" iroks with 17x14 beadlocks stacked in the back. Real PITA to get in/out, even ripped the carpet off my tailgate. :doh0715:

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,198 Posts
Well, the bronco has officially hualed something heavier than a garden tractor :toothless

My stepdads 1983 FSB:

And on a sidenote-This 1988 300zx had not been started in roughly 4 years...old gas and all, put a battery in the sob, and I'll be damned if it didn't start on the first try...:shocked: Ran rough, but it ran good enough an pulled itself out of there ;)

Was also going to tow that red van, but that thing is the demon from hell :madder: Long story short, I got to ram it back into the driveway witht the bronco ;)

KC

·
FSM Lifetime
4,612 Posts
The original post asked how do you use your bronco as a truck, so in the great spirit of this thread I took pictures:

We needed to park the Haulmark back in the corner of the backyard and there is not enough room to use the Centurion to manuver it there. Enter the 1994 bronco:

Hooked her up and just gently loaded her down with 13,000 pounds of trailer and goods and backed it in:

To the folks who say they've towed more than 10 or 12k with their broncos. Dang I'm gonna have to call bullshit and gross exaggeration. I flattened the leaf springs:

So unhook it and it happily drives away and wait whats this? over there in the yard.... I knew it had to be a bump stop or body mount. Yes we have not trail damage but trailer damage: :thumbup:doh0715:

·
FSM Lifetime
4,612 Posts
Was there 3000 pounds worth of other stuff in the back seat?
Dang sorry Mike, never saw this post.

With the 7.3 engine a one ton four door is 7560 (scale weight of my white fourdoor on an empty tank of fuel). The green one being hauled is 8000 pounds empty (It has structural mods that make it weigh more like a custom gas tank which is more metal and thicker than the original, etc). That is certified scale weight. The fuel tank was full which is more than 400 pounds as this is the one with the custom 54 gallon tank underneath. And then yes there was a shitload of stuff inside, including heavy things like tools. But the interior only had around a 1000 pounds maybe less. It can hold much more than that, we just didnt have the interior fully loaded. :shrug

We have a scale at Erik's work, so for us weighing vehicles and trailers is much easier than everyone else. They are a chemical trucking company so the scales are certified, calibrated, and inspected.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Barbecue

Try not to haul anything at all but I was motivated enough for a campout for 40+ men and I hauled a 2000 lb. barbecue/ smoker. You could fit a couple goats in there or a large javelina if you wanted. I got thumbs up from every guy in my neighborhood when it was parked in front of my house but the thing is so ugly it looks like a giant iron outhouse on wheels. It did not have brakes and I know it was too much for my 87's stock brakes. Will not haul anything like that again without electric brakes.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,198 Posts
Damn Audra...stock bumper and all :rofl: How much tongue weight did that thing have!?!?

KC

121 - 140 of 173 Posts